Be Careful

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mobowhtr, Sep 17, 2006.

1. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I guess I'm going to get one of those little lights that clip to my hat for walking in the dark. A friend of mine was walking back to his truck saturday after the evening hunt, as he crossed a bean field and neared the corner of a cornfield he felt something hit his foot, after stopping and looking he realized he had been shot by another bow hunter. When he yelled he heard the other guy say "oh s**t" and he did come out to help James out to his truck. Fortunately the injury was minor, and only required two stitches. Still, being shot at is very serious, and shooting when its too dark to tell the difference in a human and a deer in an open field is foolish, to say the least.

So to one and all I say be extremely careful when walking or shooting

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Wow that is nuts. I would never shoot at something if I couldn't positively ID it. Sounds like it might have been after shooting time as well!

3. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    could have been much worse. always wear orange if ur down on the ground esp if ur moving, and a clip light is a great idea. i've heard sad sad stories about mistaken "game." saddest one i know-

guy's friend has been down b/c hes unemployed, so he desides to take this friend hunting with him and invites his friends young boy. they take the boy to an outdoor store, get him outfitted in camo, hes all excited. well the dad and son are out in one stand, and the guy who invited 'em is in another. it starts gettin low-light and the dad and boy walk up to the guys stand, guy tells 'em "go back to ur stand, its about to get good!" well dad and boy walk off. couple minutes later, guy sees a coyote walkin along a fence line. he says "once this ole coyote crosses the opening in the fence into the field, hes mine." coyote crosses fence, guy shoots. the guy shot the young boy dead in his fathers hands. now this man has to live with that everyday. so, be safe, wear orange, if it gets dark, unload your gun.

4. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    was he hunting on public ground or private ground if on private ground tell the land owner what happened i bet he would run him off. that is crazy to get shot with a arrow. Thank God it wasnt firearm season i sure wouldnt be hunting there during firearm season if he hunting. Idiots like that make it hard for ethical hunters to find ground to hunt on.

5. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO

He was on public land, James reported it to a local agent and they did a pretty substantial investigation. The shooter claimed he was shooting at a deer and missed and hit James from 200 yds away. The investigator found the arrow 42 yds from the spot in the weeds where the shooter shot from, and thats after it glanced off James' foot. I don't know what the penalties are, but the MDC is taking the incident very seriously.

6. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    some great identifying of game

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It would be nice to see the shooter brought up on charges. What he did was inexcusable.

8. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    THAT'S CRAZY!!! The guy couldn't even tell if it was a human or deer, much less buck or doe or if it meet any antler restrictions!! People like that are the reason I hunt my personal property mostly! Even hunting my own place I have a BRIGHT light on my cap (like a coon hunter) coming out of the woods. I'll sing out loud also! Don't know if it helps the hunters hear me but it keeps me from being so jumpy (not of the animals but of other hunters) :roll_eyes:!

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    That guy that shot him dosn't need to be hunting! Can't tell the difference between a deer and a human.

Cutter

10. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Thats a scary thought right there

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Can I get directions to where that hunter's stand was. I'll be sending my ex wife there with a grunt call.

LMAO Just kidding folks.........

Please be safe out there hunting.......

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thats one of the first things that they teach you in a Hunters Course, be sure of your target. Tony was right, he couldnt tell the difference between a deer and human, he doesnt need to be in the woods!

That guy doesnt need to be hunting! I hope that he learned his lesson and wont ever pull another stunt like that again!

13. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO

Wouldn't do you much good, the guy is obviously a poor shot, he'd just make her limp for a couple of days. ha ha:lol: