Be careful what you wish for

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by lonegunman88240, Jun 4, 2006.

1. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    you just might get it lol, for years and years i used just a 14x36 tin skiff, always wanted a bigger boat, i found a hell of a deal on a alumacraft 14 foot deep and wide with trailer(200 bucks) slapped a 15hp seaking on her and it was great for a while, til i went to my old fishing spots that i use to go with my skiff, the jon boat although it has a shallow draft it isnt shallow enough,
    man i miss that skiff now! but after leaving the river i went to this small village to grab lunch and saw a canoe sitting by a fence, i stood outside the mans gate whistling(mean dogs) for 20 minutes before he came out, well i got me a 19 foot canoe 36 inches wide for 75 bucks, i was praying it was what i needed and wanted but if not im sure i could sell it maybe for a profit, loaded it on top of my alumacraft, went back to the river pulled the trolling motor off and mounted it to the canoe, it took me right where i wanted to go no problems other than it is a little long to manuver in tight spots, theres a little seepage at the rivets (aluminum canoe) easy fix, the troller pushed it easily at a nice speed maybe 6 or 7 miles an hour? the boat although long is very light maybe 50 lbs? i think i just found my new fishing rig, and possibly sell my jon boat now?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    All three of the crafts you mentioned were designed for different conditions. You are not going to find a replacement for your first skiff, unless you get another skiff. The alum. boat has different characteristics...like rough water. Much better to be in it than in a jon boat or canoe. You may as well admit your hard to please and buy and keep all three. LOL. Then, and only then, will you be set.

3. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    i'd like to get my old skiff back but my brother wont let go, and ive never seen another like it, looks like someone took a 28 foot canoe cut it in half and mounted a transom to it

4. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Have you looked at the Gruman Sports Boats? Not a square stern canoe, sort of a combination thing

5. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    never heard of them, but will check them out, but im working on a strict budget, but have almost always been blessed on finding good deals