Be ADA Aware

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Watching the local news tonight it was reported in Fayetteville, NC that a couple went to a pizza eatery and were kicked out because they had a dog with them.
    Basicly they were told to leave immediately.
    The problem here is that the male half of the couple recently lost most of his vision in Afghanistan from being shot in the back of the head.
    It's a real miracle this soldier lived with seemingly no lasting injury except his vision from what I could tell in the interview.
    The dog is a seeing eye dog.

The part owner of the business is the guilty party of kicking him , his wife, and the dog out.
    Tonight the other half owner of the business was interviewed and was very apologetic, understanding, and American with Disabilities Act aware.
    Seems the other owner could use some schooling in the subject matter.
    Unfortunately he couldn't be reached for comment. What a weasel.
    These people are going to sue and I really cant blame them but had I made the mistake this business owner did I would like to think I had the nerve to publicly and privately apologize to these people even against the wishes of my attorney. It is the right thing to do and the only thing to do.

I feel for these people and the part owner of the business that knew the laws regarding seeing eye dogs.
    Being that this business is in Fayetteville, home to Fort Bragg and most of the population there is either active military or retired military the business will suffer if not fail.

Be ADA aware and choose your business partners wisely.
    Its a shame this soldier lost most of his sight protecting the freedom of this weasel.
    I commend the people who have chosen to defend their country and its citizens in their entirety without having the benefit to choose who they are willing to die or suffer great injury for.
    I salute those men and women past and present that wear or have worn the uniform to insure my freedoms and stand watch while I sleep at night.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am very proud of the American Military and I stand behind them and beside them.It's an ugly shame some Americans do not!:sad2:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I totolly agree with everything that has been said. I myself couldn't get in the service but I have a brother who put in 20 years protecting my freedom during the Viet Nam era.So yes I do respect the ones who is fighting and dying for us so we can go fishing or whatever we want to do.It's a shame that a business will have to suffer because of one mans STUPIDITY. Get rid of the problem ,save the company. Just thinking out loud.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In all fairness I'm sure this veteran wasn't wearing a sign on his forehead saying he lost his sight in combat. You probally couldnt tell he had been a soldier but in Fayetteville its safe to assume he had been a soldier and if he was blind it would be even safer to assume he lost his sight while in service.

You just dont know until you walk a mile in their shoes.

I can imagine the first thought in this guy's head. Health department violation.
    But the responsibilities that come with owning a business take precedence over one's ignorance of the laws.
    The handicap parking, the wheel chair ramp on the curb, and the handicap bathroom stalls wasnt enough clue for this weasel.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    His first clue should have been the harness most eye dogs wear. The most important thing is he should have been aware of that law. There is no excuse for his behavoir what so ever in my mind.
    It makes no difference if it was a vet or a person from across town that never had seen a uniform, the laws are real clear on this.