BC/Spinning which is better

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by alan_behr, Jan 22, 2006.

1. alan_behr

alan_behr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey which is better Bc/spiing ?

2. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    It is a matter of preference. Just like the Ford/Chevy argument. I personally prefer baitcasting. I have owned and still do both types. I just have more faith in the power/strength of baitcasters for big fish than I do spinning. Have you ever seen a spinning reel set up for catching big game fish in the ocean? I haven't either!

I have some spinning rigs that are used for panfish, etc. So I do like them, especially for ultra light fishing.

Spinning reels are easier to learn to cast, but with some practice you can cast a baitcaster just as far, and I can be more accurate with baitcasters.
    Just my .02 worth. Others will have their opinions, this is just mine.:)

Frank

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer baitcasters for catfish only, all other species I fish for I use spinning gear..I think spinning gear is easier to use..I just prefer the looks of a baitcasting reel, and I use alot of heavy weights.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've seen some nice fish put in the boat with both types of reels. I use the older mitchell 306 spinning reels and abu 6500, 7000 and penn 209's. The biggest disandvantage to most spinning reels is there is no line out alarm, but there are ways around that.

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Have you ever seen a spinning reel set up for catching big game fish in the ocean? I haven't either!

Frank[/QUOTE]

Whoa Frank,
    I have used spinning rigs on downriggers a lot of times.They are great for sport and hard fighting.I have even seen them used with outriggers.You just adjust the clips to heavy release to let them do the work of setting the hook.Bail open.I have seen other guys use heavy rubber bands for flatlining.Both work just fine.
    Aside from that I must admit that I use both conventional and spinning gear.I have a paper clip cinched onto my lt. wt. salt water spin catfishing poles with nylon ties.I leave the bail open and snug the running line under it as a release when using a free line or egg sinker.You do'nt hear cliucker go off,so you have to pay more attention to the rods though.Tightline I will close the bail and put a bell on the rod.
    Like it was said on other posts,it is more a matter of choice.I went to sweet water fishing after spending my earlier years doing mostly salt water fishing.Using what I already had,I just adapted it to fishing for cats.
    I am slowly getting more conventional reels for my catfishing.I hope someday to finally catch some blue cats and flatheads.So far I have only caught channels.Some of my gear was used for bottom bumping in salt,and will still be used with just longer poles for casting.
    Just had to reply to this post by Frank:)

BILL

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with baitfish... comfort with your set-up is single most important factor.

I prefer a baitcaster when casting heavier baits (3 oz of lead with a 6" bluegill), and for bigger fish I like that the fish pulls in-line with the spool on a baitcaster - less stress on the reel. That being said, I use spinning and casting tackle about equal. I like spinning gear especially when longer casting becomes needed. I generally don't use clickers, so that's not an issue.

The rod is very important in all this too; as you start throwing heavier baits the rod makes a big difference.

Shawn

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Bam - I use spinning reels without the baitrunner features. What type of system or alarm do you use to determine bites? I usually tight line but probably miss a lot of fish as a result.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bait clickers are optional in my opinion also. Most of my rods that I use for cats are spinning gear, with exception for my newest rod that I have matched up with Abu 6000, which apparently is bad luck, as I've had it out on 4 outings now, and it's been the only rod to not at least get a hook up! I use circle hooks exclusively, and keep the drags pretty tight in order to get proper hooksets. So even though my coventional gear has a bait clicker, I don't have much of a use for it. Now, if I'm using large baits on a J-hook, you'll see me flick the clicker on...but I just simplify it for my spinning gear and use circle hooks.

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    yep, just depends on what your fishing for I guess. I think the baitcaster has a little more power to offer than a spinning combo. Also I like the drag systems a little better.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use baitcasters for cats. I can get better cranking leverage out of a baitcaster and I can cast it a lot further with a heavy rig than a spinning rod.

I use spinning rods for catching bait, and Bass fishing when I am suckered into it! LOL!!

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I prefer BC over any of the rest, just for the reason, that is what I grew up using and are very comfortable with.

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I drug a 120 pound reef shark out of 160 feet using a Penn 209 spooled with 20 lb test last year.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    One is no better then the other really. The only reason I use bait casters when catfishing is because the big spinning reels just feel real awkward. Other then that I’m a spinning reel person.

14. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I use mostly spinning outfits because of the ease of use in fishing and maintenance. Some of my outfits are light to medium saltwater which I use when I'm looking for the larger cats and not eaters.:grin-big:

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OPINION:

BC is best but fer Flatheads it is best to "TIGHT LINE" vs free linin ;) !

You don't know what your not seein! :p

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Personally, I prefer spinning reels. Partly because they can be cheaper than BC, and they are MUCH easier to carry on a bike!!