Bbq

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't know bout yall, but I love my barbecue, and I like it my way. Down here in the deep south its pork and pork only. Well, chicken too but thats different. Ive been eaten hog ever since i was a baby, first solid food I ever ate was pork bbq from Golden Rule....mmmmmm :wub:

Well, there are several types of bbq differing by region, and sometimes even town to town. The "Pork Belt" goes from N. Carolina all the way down thru Georgia and Alabama and I believe it extends thru Mississippi to LA, not sure though. Pork is always slow cooked over an open fire, usually burning hickory. You can get ur meat chopped or pulled in most places. The sauce is a very thin, spicy sauce, and is vinegar based. Of course it differs dependin on where you are. I believe in North Carolina the debate is dry vs. wet, meaning is the sauce basted on the meat while cooking (wet), or put on afterwards.

Now up in Memphis they're famous fer their ribs. Never been up there but I really would love to try some.

Texas of course has its own style of bbq. The meat of choice is beef brisket of ribs, and the sauces range from thin and spicy to thick and smokey to real thick w/ a Texican flare.

Kentucky favors lamb, and this is the region I know least about.

Now, I'm sure y'all heard of K.C. Masterpiece BBQ Sauce before. K.C. is for Kansas City, Missouri. now this sauce is real different from what Im used to down here in the pork belt. It's molasses or sugar based, and has a thick consistency. Most bbq joints start with good meat and develop a sauce to complement their meat. K.C. masterpiece, however is opposite. The sauce was made by a doctor (can't think of his name). Everyone loved his sauce, and he began selling it, and it boomed. So he actually started with a great sauce and the meat came later. I believe brisket and ribs are the meat of choice.

I love my bbq, and contrary to most Northerner's beliefs, a barbecue is not a grill-out in the backyard. A real bbq is slow cooked either in the ground or over a fire. The tradition of pork barbecue and how it is prepared dates back to pre-Civil War era South, when white slave owners would give unused cuts of pork to the slaves, who in turn found a way to make this otherwise undesirable meat good. BBQ is one of my favorite foods, and it will definitely always be one of my favorites.

How do y'all like your bbq?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I love my BBQ too! I dont really care how it is, but my favorite is a Pulled BBQ sub from this little sandwhich shop down the street from me called "Ruddys".

They have some kind of secret sauce they put on it, man it's out of this world.......yummm.....might have to go get me one right now... :eek: :D

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I love almost any bbq'd meat, whether it be beef, pork, chicken. My favorite sauce after trying almost all on the shelves is Sweet Baby Ray's, Honey bbq sauce. Now there is just a plain bbq flavor, but I like sweet sauces, so I go for the Honey flavor. If you haven't tried it, next time pick up a bottle.

I only oven cook unless I'm camping, so I don't have any secrets to share on how to prepare or cook for you. Sorry.

4. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Oh Johnny Boy,you fixin to get something going here! :p I like BBQ pork,
    but,the real bbq is a good ole Beef brisket,tater salad,sausage,cloe slaw,and if you have too,throw in a couple of slabs of pork ribs. :rock-big:
    John Boy you need to come to Texas,for some real Bar B QUE! :p
    Ernie

5. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Yes, I love BBQ.
    I am starting a catering business do parties, graduations etc... I will be also a certified judge in 2006. Hickory and oak are the most common types of wood used to smoke meats, I like to use a varitey of woods like cherry, pecan, apple and maple. Cherry, apple and maple are great woods for smoking sasuage and chickens. You also have to be carefull because if you have too much smoke you meat will have a bitter taste to it, I recommend using the vents on your firebox to control your temp and leaving your stack wide open. I try to maintain a 225 degree temp in the cooking chamber.
    I enjoy using a dry rub but its fun to try other ways too like mopp sauces, injections etc... If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me, I have done plenty of ribs, butts, briskets, sasuages, and beans.

chris

6. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i like my beef so don't take this the wrong way,if your gonna Q then it's gotta be pork......

7. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    leakyboat, id love to try some of that texas bbq, i was in san antonio in may, but didnt get to try any :crying:

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i qued a brisket one time talk about a pain (a tasty pain) i put a five gallon bucket under my grill for fat drippings it filled a 1/4 of the way upwith grease and now matter how low my heat was it kept catchng my grill on fire from all the grease..so i stick with the pork products now..lol....

9. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    John,

All this BBQ talk has my mouth watering... down the front of my shirt and onto my keyboard. :love-big:

My tastes tend to favor beef but I can gnaw on a stack of slabs till the pigs come home.

I like a heavy spice rub, slow cooking dry, then Sweet Baby Ray's sauce that's been "doctored up" with a shot of George Dickle and a couple table spoons of Tabascco. I love the feeling of sweat running from my bald spot down the back of my neck. That's when you really know, life is good. ;)

Mike

10. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey mike, i do use a dry rub and i'll sear my ribs on the highest heat i can get for 1 minute on each side then i sloww cook em' for a couple of hours on low heat then i take sweet baby rays and dr. it up with brown suger and other secret stuff (i could tell ya but i'd have to kill ya afterwards)...lol...anyways then i brush the sauce on let cook for about 30 min. then baste again then another 30. and bon apetite....

dang now i'm hungry.......

11. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    John,

That sounds like it's to die for, even without prying the secret outa ya. lol

Mike

12. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe that KC guy is Dr. Rich Davis. But I'm pretty sure he didn't start with the KC Masterpiece sauce, then try meats. If you read his history on the wall in his Overland Park, Kansas restaraunt, you will find he was an avid bbq fanatic already when he developed the KC Masterpiece sauce. It is a sweet sauce compared to most, and I believe some brown sugar and/or backstrap molasses has something to do with it.

I generally use KC Masterpiece only; I like my Q a little smoky and sweet, like me. :eek: My favorite bbq is hand rubbed pork baby back ribs, cooked slow over (actually adjacent to) some Kingsford charcoal with a lot of wet hickory chips mixed in, and the lid closed. Add the sauce about 15 minutes before they come off the grill. (Usually about 2 hours on my Weber grill) To get my Weber to behave a little like a smoker, I line the charcoal up in a half circle against one side of my grill, and light one end of the half circle (about 25% of the coals). Takes about 2 1/2 hours to burn the whole semicircle. My kids like the ribs without the sauce. They just have the salt mix, pepper, and brown sugar rubbed in before they go on the grill. I do the same thing with chicken, but the rub is different. Lowry's seasoned salt, poultry seasoning, and lemon pepper rubbed in, then spray the chicken with vegetable oil or PAM. Helps hold the seasoning on the bird parts, and helps crispy up the skin.

Another favorite of mine on the bbq is deer. Put a whole leg quarter on, with seasoning salt, a little pepper, or maybe some lemon pepper. After about an hour, you can sit around the grill, carve off pieces that are done, and enjoy washing it down with the ice cold, fermented beverage of your choice! :D

13. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    after my last post on this subject i had to go pull out the deer ham for tomorrow....hmmmmmmmmm deer....

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I love all bar b q, my favorite is pork baby back ribs followed closely by beef tri tip, hot links, chicken, fish, turkey and just about anything I can get to lay reasonably flat over a bed of coals! As for the sauce, I like it hot!

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey phillip, wheres is tracy???????
    as for the sauce i like it hot also but everyone else don't so i have to conform to the majority so the youngins' can eat it too...

16. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey John,
    On the truthful side,the best i ever had was a friend cooked a hog,sewed chickens up in the belly of the hog.After it was cooked,he then took some of the pork and added coleslaw,bbq sauce on a hamburger bun.That and a cold beer,will make you think you were in Heaven! :thumbsup:
    Ernie

17. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    that don't sound to bad....
    what about the yard bird how did it turn out???

18. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

It turned out pretty good for chicken.Beef and pork bbq'd is my favorite,chickens are for laying eggs! :p
    Ernie

19. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Mike
    The Dickel sounds good in a BBQ sauce. I sip on some ever once in awhile, but you gotta have #12 though.

Has anyone ever tried a beer butt chicken, I have fixed them before, they are great. I use coors light and then i put garlic under the skin and use a dry rub on the skin, wrap up the chicken with foil and let it cook for a few hours.

chris

20. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    we call that drunken chicken and it is goodbut i use a cheap beer like ol milwuakees best i ain't wasting a beer that is worthy of being drank on no yard bird...lol...