BBQ sauce

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ratkinson, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I know you die hards all got your own recipes for a secret sauce, but, I tried Yuengline Lauger Sauce. There has to be some illegal higly addicting substance in that bottle. May be crack for fat people.......I just can't get enough. If you haven't tried it, DON'T!!! I will not be held responsible for what's gonna happen.

Richard

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    always looking for some good recipes for sauces, including BBQ... please all, send me them in a pm... greatly appreciated,,,,,,,,,rollo

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Try Baby Rays BBQ Sause if you can find it.To me it is the best.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Here the recipe from my head when I was 13 and was the chef.

Tomato Sauce

Tomato Paste

Liquid Smoke

Pineapple Juice

Cumin powder

Brown sugar "Dark"

Thats it, no less no more. We put it in the steam table and let it heat.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here is a simple and quick recipe I use to make my own.

Catchup
    Tomato paste
    Apple juice
    pepsi
    dried onions
    garlic powder
    salt
    pepper
    apple jelly (I use this for my ribs, which has a apple jelly basted wash)
    cayanne pepper
    brown sugar
    liquid smoke

Depending on the quanity you are making you will have to experiment with the amounts you put in. If I am just making enough for the family, I use one can pepsi, and about an equal amount of apple juice. The dried onions are optional, and if you want it spicey, I add pepper flakes to mine. For 1 can pepsi, I add 1/4 cup apple jelly, and sweeten to taste with brown sugar.

Put on low heat and let it cook down. I hardly ever use liquid smoke. Usually when I make BBQ sauce, I am smoking something in the smoker, so I take an old pan and put my BBQ sauce in it and set it in the smoker for a couple of hours, and stir it to get the smoke in it.

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I love the secret recipes guys/gals keep em coming. While comparing northern to southern BBQ places is Crazy (the south wins hands down), we do have a fairly local place which distribute it's sauce it is called Dinosaur BBQ, lprobably the most popular and well known in the Central NY Area(Syracuse). If you are a fan of the HOT......check out The Hot Shoppe web site below. I will ship to anyone interested. I may have you print and sign a copy of the legal waiver if you purchase of the top two shelves. If you are fond of rub's, locally Buck's Seasoning is the way to go......Heck chicken just rubbed and grilled rivals alot of the BBQ Chicken stands I've ever stopped at. Buck's is a small mom and pop run out of a house, if you research andare interested, I can stop at the actual shop and get you aound five time the amount fot the same price (minus the fancy packaging). Up to 7lbs bags.

Richard

www.hotshoppe.com/
    www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont ever travel down I-95 through Johnston county NC without stopping in a tiny hole in the wall place called White Swan.
    Many famous people have. I see the picture of Goober all the time.
    Been eating BBQ from that place since I was old enough to eat.

I'll give up my BBQ sauce later.
    It makes a gallon at the time and it'll cost 20-25 bucks to make a gallon.
    When you are done making it , it is pasturized so it doesnt need refrigeration.
    Just dont store it in anything with a metal lid. Couple of months the lid will be gone.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I would put baby Rays in the same class as the lager sauce. It is a heck of a sauce as well.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Mark,
    I'll be down that way shortly, I'll put White Swan on the "to do" list.

Richard

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ingredients:

* Jack Daniels, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, or to taste
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * 2 cups ketchup
    * 1/3 cup vinegar
    * 3 tablespoons
    * Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    * 3/4 cup molasses
    * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
    * 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste

Preparation:
    Combine onion, garlic and Jack Daniels in a 3 quart saucepan. Sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Simmer uncovered until reduced and thickened, about 15 to 25 minutes. Add more Jack Daniels if a stronger flavor is desired.

While the recipe calls for Jack Daniels, I've used other, cheaper, brands and can't really tell the difference.

Want your sauce hotter? Add more Tabasco, red pepper, or even one or two pureed habaneros. (To puree them, add them and the vinegar to a blender. The vinegar will let you pour the result out pretty easily.)

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    catsup

coke

garlic powder

brown sugar. mix to taste.

the coke helps the sauce penetrate.

used it in a pinch many times. not to bad at all either.

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I don't even run to the store to make this one!

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've posted this one as a sweet and sour sauce for meatballs......on the grill it will carmalize nicely. You can spice it up with what ever you want or eat it plain Jane.

Melt one large jar of grape jelly/jam (I am partial to Smuckers)
    Mix in one bottle off chilli sauce (comes in a bottle like catsup often in the mexicanor ethnic food section of the store) This combo = a lip smackin' sweet and sour, how???? You got me. You can play around and use different flavor jellys or even a cheap bottle of bbq instead of chilli sauce. Real basic no fuss no muss sauce, and folks will sit around sopping up the extra sauce with bread.......no kidding.

Richard

14. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i used to use sweet baby ray's until i got some head country sauce. it is made in ponca city, ok. to me it is the best you can buy in a store. i have had some homemade that is better, but it is hard to make sauce when you move around as much as i do.

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Have you tried all the flavors? I see they offer a mix and match case on their
    sight.

16. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Head Country is the only way to go........tried alot of BBQ sauces, but this is the best I have had

17. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yall give this south carolina mustard base bbq sauce a try.
    1 cup yellow mustard
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1- 1/2 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 dash worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne flakes.

You can just mix up the mixture and use, or you can heat it up a little over medium heat. But dont let it start bubbling. This sauce is right.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. thats the whole idea. a grill full of BBQ and :crazy: no sauce. this works with dinner saving results.

and of course it can have a dash of this and that added as well.

19. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    One more thing..it's best when you let it simmer for about a half hour on low heat.

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I guess I gotta try the sauce recipe from a southern boy with a grill almost as big as he is in his avatar.:big_smile:

Richard