BBG vs BBG High Test

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was at a bass pro shop a couple of weeks ago and they had 50lb BBG HT(high test) on sale as well as 50lb BBG for $10 for 1000yds. so being the ever thrifty fisherman, i bought one of each thinking i would give the BBGHT a shot, and knowing i like the BBG i would still be saving money ether way. the BBGHT is a completely differnt animal compared to the BBG. it is much stiffer and holds line memory much more so than the regular BBG. It was very strong and stood up against a large stingray and a large snook while pier fishing in FLA last week. i am not a fan of the BBGHT at all, it reminds me of a cross between Cajun Red and BBG. i will be keeping it for leader and back up line. it worked very well for the first week or so i had it on the reel, the second + week it wasnt worth much.

my next line purchase is going to be the Vicious line that Flathunter was reviewing. i havent gotten a chance to order any yet and when i saw the deal on BBG i figured why fix something that isn't broke for a deal like that. but ill be ordering and testing out some Vicious here very soon.

Any thoughts???

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I didn't really have much of a memory problem with the BBGHT. I used the 40# test though. It may have been a tad stiffer but not much. Nothing like that cajun red crap...:smile2:
    It was definitely strong line. Me and Larry used a huge spool of it this season and had no issues with it.:cool2:

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    If we all get together for another trip, i will let you cast out my reels. ill leave one spooled up, there may be a big difference in the 50 and the 40.

your right though, comparing it to Cajun Red was a little rough:wink::wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jacks review of the Vicious line is quite compelling. Thinking of giving it a try myself.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yeah i have talked to him in some PM's also and it seems like that maybe the only way to go... i just couldn't pass up a good deal..

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I thought Hi Test was actually better Memory wise compared to the reg BG. I'm running 30lb so that might have some thing to do about it. I will tell you this that stuff is strong. I have pull my boat against the current with me and another guy and our gear to the snag with out it breaking.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it wont break thats for sure, i just had some problems with the stiffness of the 50 bbght over regular bbg. im thinking about switching to 30lb altogether and doing away with the 50 lb mono. i think when you reach that size nomatter what you are going to have some memory issues

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found out pretty much the same thing, I bought some H/T for leader material. It's stiffer and doesnt tie or snell as well as reg B/G.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    makes me feel better that im not alone in my assesment