Bayliner 245 Cruiser boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cardfan4life, Apr 10, 2006.

1. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Was thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have any clue how fishing from one of these would be?

2. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Crappy to say the least.

No decent seats up front to fish off the bow, no trolling motor would fit on it, and your dipnet would have to have one looong handle cause you ain't getting a big'un over the side without one.

Cruiser is an appropriate name for one of those cause about all they are good for is running up and down the water burning tons of gas.

Heck I don't even see how your old lady can comfortably lay out in her bikini on one of those due to the curvy front deck.

3. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Yeah I know, but the ol'lady is buying and wants to be comfortable. So if anyone has any ideas? And another thing, how do you get rid of this star?

4. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What exaclty does she intend to do with her boat?

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know how the floor space is but walk around boats are made for fishing and they have a small cabin. My thinking is for catfishing on a river where you anchor to fish holes, well it couldn't get any better. You can get long handle nets and you can gaff a big fish without hurting them. Some of the boats you speak of have a fish door at the stern and many have a swim platform. I have seen some with a remote controled trolling motor. You could fish year round in comfort and even camp in them.

I have been thinking of getting something like that a 21 or 23 foot walk around. Of courst they need more water. I would have had one already but I am new to catfishing and have been other fishing all my life and not ready to go just cats.

I am now thinking of keeping my boat and getting an older on that needs work to fix up just for river fishing. I live on the river and my boat is in the water all the time so you need to think of that also. It wouldn't be easy to trailer around.

Danny

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I wouldn't be in a big rush to buy a boat. Fish on as many different types of boats as possible. Find out what you like and what you don't like. I used to have a 20' CC Robalo, but I only had it in fresh water once; it would have been totally unsuited for me for catfishing.

7. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Ok, heres the thing. Im a truck driver and gone most of the time. So she wants to be with me but comfortable at the time im fishing. Ive looked on alot of sites and havent seeen nothing to fit her needs as well as mine. aint really in a rush, but would just like to know if anyone has seen something that might work. These will be mostly night fishing excursions. Ive been reading alot of different posts on here and dont think a pontoon will work. Im also going to get a center console for fishing w/o her. Any ideas on which one of these would be best. Thanks

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you are considering a cruiser, you are hopefully fishing big water. You are looking at a minimumum of a 3 foot draft meaning no skinny water. I just got rid of a 20 foot bass boat with big decks because to me it wasn't comfortable. I just bought a 28 foot pontoon and can't for the life of me remember why I got rid of my other one. Room comfort fishability all of it. The only thing with it is the wind, which you will have similar issues with a cruiser.
    BTW you can spend a lot on a pontoon for comfort such as an enclosure. I was out on mine Satuday in 25 degree weather and with 1 side curtain blocking the wind, and a propane heater, we were actually comfortable.

Good luck in your search.

9. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Thanks for the info Loan, im still studying. Like I said im in no rush and just looking for different opinions.:)

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're looking for room, remember that a center console really takes up a lot of it. Center consoles were designed for big rough water so that you can stand up and bend your knees while driving the boat. To illustrate: I was running 34 miles out in the Pacific and one of my passengers was sitting down in the Pompanette fishing chair; waves were 12' high, with 5' wind waves behind them; when we crested a big wave and slammed into the wind wave, it drove the pedistal through the bottom of the fiberglass fishing chair. You aren't likely to run into that kind of stuff where you are. Also, if you're fishing alone, it's really difficult to run the boat and land a fish at the same time; not nearly so difficult with a side console.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Down here on the lake, both pontoon boats and deck boats seem to be popular...ya might want to check out the deck boats, they are pretty heavy to haul around though..good luck bud.:)

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Star is good! It shows that you have made a donation to the Brotherhood. Thanks for your support!

ST

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Richard, I got a 23 footer with forward cutty and a head so the family can be comfortable and fishing with it is not a problem. I also have a 14 foot jon for those out of the way places.

14. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Thanks Copycat, and every one else who has responded. I was thinking of going the same way you did with a cruiser and a jon boat.

15. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello cardfan4life,
    This is my kind of post. My wife and I fish out of a 05 285 Bayliner Ceira cabin cruiser. Best flathead boat on the river. And we catch more than our share of flats. We fish 4 rods off the stern, and 2 rods off the bow when my grandson is along. We overnight about every saturday nite on the Missourri River and alot of the times with a couple other cruisers. We had a deckboat with full canvas enclosure in 2004. Was nice but the wife wanted a bathroom and didnt enjoy sleeping on cushions. If Mamma aint happy, nobody is happy.
    The boat has a forward V berth, full head with shower, full galley, dinette and a bigger than queen size bed in the aft stabbin cabin. We had three boats in three years before we got what we wanted. Could have saved alot of money if we would of just got the Cruiser to start with. Cruisers are awsome. And the wife will enjoy it as much as you. She can stay in bed at 5am while your fishin and perking coffee.
    And if it gets to hot out, turn the air on. When you get home and park that truck, great way to fish, overnite, relax in comfort and enjoy eachother. Just camp out wherever you throw your anchor. Hope I have helped, anyother questions feel free to email me.
    Tight lines
    Danny J