Bay shut down last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by cpalombo, Apr 28, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Talked to Sal this morning (he does not have internet right now). He didnt do so well on the bay last night. He got 2 in 3 hours of driving rain. The water was 10 degrees cooler than last week.

CP

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Them are my pet cats i told them to watch out for Sal he meant to eat them! Next time you talk to Sal ask him how go's it with the sock fairy!

3. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Whiskerwacker (Steve), Jason & I met Sal at Quanicassee last night. He showed us where to fish and how he does it. We stayed a little longer than he did. We fished about 3 1/2 hrs. Ended up with 11 fish. 10 catfish and 1 pike. Largest was a little over 7 lbs. First time we had fish there. Had a good time but the rain put a dampener on our evening.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I have to admit, I love to fish, but it will be a rainy day in Southern Cal. before you see me in a boat in a driving rain catfishing. It's one thing to get caught in the rain, but to stay out in it when it's cold! I have to question some folks sanity. LOL
    Sparky

5. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey CP, welcome aboard, I assume you are a relative of Sal's. I also assume you were one of the wet anglers we met on the river the other night. Hopefully next time we meet the conditions will be fairer.

If only I had known about the banana curse! I am coming to believe that Sal and Tony only fish in the rain when the fish aren't biting. LOL. I was the only one in our boat to get skunked and I was told it was because I had a banana in my tackle bag.....I did have the feeling in my hands return about an hour into our drive home. My hands were so frozen I couldn't push my cast button towards the end of the night. Oh well, it was worth a try anyway, I think it would be really good with a little warmer water.

6. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Hey Sparky I understand insanity is hereditary. I got mine from my kids.

7. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Yes, I am Sal's brother and No, I live in St Louis. I would have loved to have been there that day, even in the rain. But, It is a long drive to get back to MI for a night of fishing.

A fishing guide warned us back in the late 90's about the banana thing. It dates back to the 1800's when ocean going boats would find big piles of floating bananas. They fell into the ocean when tropical-going transport boats went down. Thus, the bad luck thing.

I take bananas with me all the time when I fish. They are God's perfect gift to our snacking joy. They are hand sized, full of goodness, and have a non-slip surface. And are a lovely pastel color. As long as I don’t see a big wad of floating bananas in the rivers around my home, I assume no one has died.

It aunt fishing unless you freeze a little. Nothing more manly than a string of frozen eyelets as you fish in your boat.

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    To take it a bit further... once I fished off Marquette harbor for coho salmon in March, 2002. It was 20 degrees, and we had to carve our way through 175 yards of 1 inch ice to get to an open spot.

It put hair on our chests. An no, we caught no fish. They all fled when they saw the boat carshing through the ice above them.

CP