Battle Scarred Warriors

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by krowbar, Jul 12, 2009.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've caught several Flatheads before with scars and bite marks on them. Caught this one Friday 7-10-09 and it had a bite mark on it across the top of its head and all the way back under its jaw almost to the opposite side of its head. No doubt it was a much bigger Flathead because it bit him and didnt let go right away. It had most of this ones head in its mouth. He went almost 40 lbs. Can't imagine the size of the other one. Sure would love to get that one on my hook.

Attached Files:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I would have liked to seen the one that grabbed him!:crazy:.Nice pics,thanks..:big_smile:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    That ole boy got tore up... Got a little to close to a nest a bigger flathead was guarding...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :crazy::crazy: dam that boy got tore up would like to see the fish that did that cause it could be the jaws of flattheads

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    :crazy: wow. Nice fish and great pics, congrats

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i caught a small 9#'er on friday that had alot of healing scars on its back and side, healing scars should be a good sign that the spawn is about over

7. catback

catback New Member

State:
    virginia
    i catch a lot of flats like that , i think a lot of these scares come from haulin out of log james and structures

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Another Nice Trophy fish , Its not still swimming though.:sad2:

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    poor guy learned the hard way bout messin with a bigger daddy's girl or baby girl lol:smile2:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught a lot of big post spawn flatheads tore up like that.

I always thought they were spawning scars from being in the brush and rocks gaurding the nest.

I never thought they were bite marks, but maybe so.

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    To each his own that's what it's all about .

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i dont think those are bite marks to be honest.i think those marks were from log jams and the like.spawning marks.

i seen a 9 lb flat with bite marks from the dorsal fin to the back of the tail.they were about 1/8 wide all around the body and took the outer layer of skin with them.looked like he had white racing stripes down him pretty much all the way around.or even white pinstripes,and they were about an 1/8 away from each other almost in a perfect pattern.

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Those are what we used to call "Love Bites". (Hickies) That's why you see them more post spawn. Looking at that one, hard to say who the winner was. But I did like the pect fin rake down the side. At least he got hugged afterwards.
    Rat

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Me and My buddy Brandon caught a blue a week or so ago and it was all tore up.He ahd two marks at the end of his tail that look like a vampire got ahold of him.Never seen that kind of marks on a fish before.We let him go to fight another day maybe he will get the upper hand on the next fight.

15. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats a nice fish Krowbar, and congrats.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some of the marks you are seeing on fish could be what I call spawning or nesting marks. When the male sits on the nest, he is constantly waving around a little to keep the eggs clean and oxygenated. If they are in a fairly small cavity, then they rub on stuff and rub sore spots on themself.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :eek:oooh:You got that right !:confused2:

To me I really dont care! Who keeps what.

But all you hear is these big fish being pulled from the waters and kept and sold by others, and there is no difference between the 5000 single fishermen nation wide keeping the killing/eating the Big fish or someone selling it.

The two are the same if you ask me,Its called Fishing. IMHO..

Personaly I keep all channels under 10# for the skillet, everything else goes back. including all flatheads/blues when I catch them, small blues are good for the skillet too but I don't see many small ones.:wink:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  18. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've seen rub marks on them before but this looked different. I wish I would have taken a pic of the underside of him. It was clearly an oval shaped bite mark that matched up exactly with the oval shaped mark across the top of his head. You could even see the sand paper teeth marks.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Jason,

I now what you are talking about,I have seen them teeth marks up close and personal..:eek:oooh: from my finger tips to almost my elbow :eek:oooh:trying to get a hook out of a 48# blue that clamped down on me and started flipping and turning,,Man I thought we were never going to get that fish to stop..:smile2::eek:oooh:..Looked like a 80grit grinding pad hit me for 5 minutes.. Liked to never stopped bleeding:angry:

I can still see them on my arm and hand..:cool2:(Battle Scars indeed):wink:

20. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kenny, I bet that hurt. I've got a few scars my self from them. They will hurt you if you let them that is for sure. Here in South Carolina we have a law that limits you to 1 Blue over 36" per person per day. No limit on Flatheads but I do practice Catch and Release on the bigger fish depending on how the freezer looks. Appreciate the concern. More people should practice Catch and Release on the bigger fish. Fortunately we have several outstanding lake systems here in SC with many catfish and hopefully we can keep it like that.