Battery Recommendations

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by alands94, Jun 21, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I am in the process of wiring a 15' jonboat with a 1999 25 hp Mercury outboard. I am a complete novice to this, so I apologize in advance if I sound like the village idiot.

I was thinking of buying two 12 volt rechargeable batteries - one for the front of the boat and one for the back. In the rear I will have my outboard motor, a night time navigation light, and a trolling motor. In the front I will have a depthfinder, green/red night time navigation light, and another trolling motor. In the future I plan to add an electric anchormate which can be run from either battery.

What amperage batteries would you recommend? I know the little 12 volt, 8 amp batteries are cheaper, but they probably won't have enough juice for my accessories. Also - if there are any specific brands or types of batteries you like, please let me know. I was planning on checking out the new Cabelas in St. Louis Friday night and they have some rechargeable batteries that look good.

All recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look for a group 24 starting battery for the back and to hook the gas motor on. I would get a group 27 or 31 for the front battery to run the front trolling motor and other accessories. If you are not going to be trolling alot, you might get by with one battery in the rear. A deep cycle/starting group 27 or 31. If you recharge a deep cycle at the end of each trip it will last longer and do a bigger job than you expect. If you need to PM me.There are several good brands. I like Decca and Exide. Stoaway is a good battery also.

3. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I like cabelas agm batteries. I heard they will run 5-6 years (or 400 cycles), although i've only had mine for a year. They are a little pricey, but hopefully it will pay for itself in the long run.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    alands94 I bought all the batteries for the paving company I worked for and we had a lot of trucks and heavy equ.so I have bought a lot of batteries but I didn't have to change out so many after I started buying them from Auto Zone.Their called "Duralast" I think and I've never had a problems from any of them.I've had a duralast deepcycle(I paid around $60.00 for it) in my boat for over 5 years now and I'm very happy with it.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm not partial to any one battery brand. There really arent that many companies in the world producing these batteries.
    These handful of companies produce for everyone in the battery business.
    Who knows who actually makes the Duralast Gold. We do who owns the brand name though.

As for the best battery I've ever owned it was an AC Delco Voyager.
    I worked for a man that replaced all three batteries in his bass boat every spring. I got his one year old batteries every year if I wanted them.
    He was an AC Delco man through and through. I used one of those batteries for 8 years before it got to where it couldnt maintain a charge for as long as I wanted it to.

Things that shorten battery life.
    Heat
    Vibration
    And poor maintenance.

I bought a new Duralast gold from autozone for my S-10 Blazer last year.
    Within 11 months it bit the dust. Auto Zone replaced it at no charge.
    Heat destroyed it. Those S-10's had a foam battery blanket for several years. I just got rid of mine. Keep your batteries cool.

These batteries we buy for our boats arent really marine batteries.
    True marine batteries cost alot more and last longer. Not many of us are willing to spring for 300-500 a pop though and not willing to haul the added weight.:big_smile:

6. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    I like the Cabelas AGM batteries,I got the prosport 12 charger and 2 group size 27 agm batteries,they are maintenance-free,you wire the charger to the batteries and leave it all in the boat,just plug in charger,when its done,it stops ,that I like.:big_smile:

7. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Duralast batteries are manufactured for Auto Zone by Johnson Controls. The Duralast brand of batteries are very high quality, you would be surprised how few are replaced during the free replacemant warranty for being defective compared to the number that are sold. I know of one major competitor auto part chain that I will not name that replaces probably 25-30% of their batteries for being defective but I do not know who manufactures them though.
    Auto Zone also sells OPTIMA brand batteries and the defective replacement rate on those is probably 5 times that of the Duralast even though they cost 2 1/2 -3 times more. My experience is no optima for me and I do have duralast batteries in everything I own and trust the service I get from them. Once a battery lets me down once or twice at most I replace it as I do not desire the extra hassle that it causes.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've also heard of a very high failure rate on the OPTIMA's... Buddy of mine with a car shop stopped carrying them because pretty much almost everyone he sold, he ended up having to replace.. Storing a car for a month or so and it would be dead....

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I splurged and bought 2 of the Cabela's AGM Group size 27 12v batteries with the on board charger. I should be good to go for years to come:wink:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Guess who manufactures the Optima batteries?
    Johnson Controls.:eek:oooh:

11. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Well they dropped the ball on that one! I did not know who made those but I still stand by what I said about the overall quality of the Duralast line! I have been selling those things for 6 years and I am really surprised to be honest that the failure rate is so low and not higher. Another good battery is the grey top put out by INTERSTATE, don't remember what they call them though.

12. mr.catman

mr.catman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've used the optima battery for three years and have had no problems with it.