Battery Question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DJH1, May 28, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My cranking battery went bad, so the other day I took my deep cycle trolling motor battery and used it to start the motor. I was thinking about going fishing tomorrow. Will the deep cycle battery be ok for cranking the motor till this weekend when I can get a new cranking battery?

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There's no reason why you couldn't use a deep cycle battery in place of a cranking battery. It's just a longer lasting heavier duty battery. Many people prefer deep cycles for every thing. Marine and deep cycles are constructed basically the same. They just have more plateing than starting batteries. That's just a simplified construction explanation, but I'm sure you get the idea and won't have any problems making the switch.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've used a deep cycle battery only for the past two boats. never had a bit of problems with them. that been since about 1992 now.
    gary

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You pose a question but dont provide much info.The two types are distinctively different.Go to the TROJAN website and you will learn everything you need to know about batteries of all types.:big_smile:Its basically in your case a question of starting amps.WHat does your engine require?Is your deep cycle going to provide enough?How many times will you be starting the engine?Is the deep cycle hooked in to the engine recharging system?Many companies now make a dual purpose type of battery that is a compromise.They work fine in both roles but do not exell at either.Essentially you can proceed with your plan if the battery will do the job.:smile2:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The smaller the motor,the bigger the battery,the better chance of surviving mis-use the longest.It will cost you money in the long run in battery life.I have found no perfect anything for everything in my 63 years on earth.There are always someone claiming to have it for sale though.There are compromises that work well for some and are unsatisfactory to others.Always take temperature into consideration.The extremes will take far more battery guts for satisfaction than the ideal temperatures.

There are many manufactures sites with info on line.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee