battery options

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by katplayer187, Dec 31, 2008.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i was looking for some other opinions on what i should run for my boat..

i was looking at 2 optima bluetop batterys 1 to run just the main motor and 1 for electronics or anything else..

but i checked out the optima website and they have the yellowtop made mostly for car audio and electronics..

so would it be better to run 1 yellow and 1 blue or 2 blue?

any info would help..thanks ahead of time

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Richard, Why do you recommend the non marine (yellow) batteries over the marine (blue) ones?

4. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    thats was exactly my next question once i read that reply?? any answers..

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    marine batteries are made for a constant draw and being charged over and over, cranking are made for a jolt of current with little actuall draw. if you use a cranking for trolling motors and such it will kill it alot faster than a marine(the life of the battery,not the charge). check out trojan batteries.com lots of good info on batteries and charging.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    craking batteries may draw down quicker and die sooner but i like the top end kick of a starter.the marine doesnt have the top end kick right off the bat like a crancker does

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My 2 cents...

The electronics won't care if it's a marine battery, car battery, deep cycle, starting, etc. But I'd for sure stick with deep cycle, as you will get much longer service life from deep cycles in a boating application. But that doesn't really narrow it down, Optima makes both the blue and the yellow top in deep cycle.

As far as I know Marine deep cycle batteries are not much different than regular deep cycle... maybe a little more shock resistant, and spill resistant if it's a wet cell, and possibly better corrosion resistance.

The safe approach would be to go with the blue top, but honestly I doubt there are significant differences between the blue and the yellow top deep cycles.