battery not charging

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wayne1967, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My motor seems to be getting worse as far as keeping the battery charged while running. The gauge stays just a tiny bit above 12 now where it use to be around 14-15 while running. How do you check the rectifier with a volt meter and where abouts is it on a 89 60hp Merc? Thanks for any help.

2. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you checked your battery condition? You need to have a good, fully charged battery to narrow down what is wrong. A bad battery can give the same symptoms.

3. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Were are you at in Missouri ?

I can check the Alt and the battery for you if your close?

If not take the battery out to a Local Advance Auto,Autozone ,Napa ect... they will charge it and check it for you also.

Make sure all your wires have NO CRACKS or build up.Also check the wires for build up or cracks on the alternator.
    They can also check your Alt also FREE OF CHARGE .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brand new battery. I just have to charge it back up after a days starting and stoping.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    still might want to check the battery. i've gotten several batteries brand new that had cells go bad right away.
    gary

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trust me. It is not the battery. That is the first thing I checked.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    okay then. if the load test on battery is done, then maybe wire connections? scrubb the heck out of the terminals with sandpaper. sometime doesn't take much. i'm thinking of simple things now.
    gary

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Test the rectifier. Using an ohm meter.

Do not ever take a battery cable loose when the engine is running this will burn out the rectifier, A simple thing like shutting the key off when the engine above idle will have the same affect,

I think in 89 they put the rectifier on the side of the block about midway that would be the right side looking from behind the engine.
    Take the wires loose from the rectifier It should be square in shape.

Connect the red lead to the rectifier case Connect the black lead to the studs one at a time. The needle should move to the Right of the scale If it does not move when touching the studs 1 and 3 then the rectifier is shot.

Reverse the leads and if you get any movement after testing then the rectifier is shot.

You can use the latter model rectifiers to replace the older ones.

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tested it. It's toast. Thanks again.

11. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, one more quick question. Are all the brands about the same? I found them made by Mallory, CDI, Sierra and Arco.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I buy the cheapest. Did you test yours

13. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep, it's bad. Thanks.

14. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That fixed it. At first I thought it didn't but the battery must of been dragging it down. It slowly went back up to around 15.

15. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia

Bubbakat, I have a question, don't want to sound ignorant but this rectifier test is done with the motor off, correct????

16. stewedcatfish

stewedcatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you are putting your battery directly on concrete (ie like the garage floor) then it will ruin your battery. Always store and charge your battery on a wood or plastic buffer. I ruined a deep cycle learning the hard way and had the same problems until I found out what was up. Good luck bro.

17. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did my check with the wires completely off. I just assumed it was for continuity so I removed them. What a simple fix. I was dealing with this for about 3 years!