battery move

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by huls1, Jan 5, 2008.

1. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have a BPS grizzley 1754 that i am adding a bait tank to but i need to move my two trolling moter batteries to the front of the boat under the front deck. this is a great boat for all kinds of fishing but when there is some chop on the water it gets a little rough, will the rough ride hurt the batteries when i move them to the front or any thing i need to do to help protect them

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    First of all "WELCOME". I would say that insurein that they are secured good and tite should take care of any concerns ya may have. Sounds like ya are bitein off a good size project. Keep us posted.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Huls1, I have both of my trolling motor batteries in the front of my boat. Katshn50 is right, be sure to secure them tight. I have a 22' skiff and they get bounced around a lot. Postive side is that the bouncing keeps all that good stuff in the battery mixed up, I think.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    First, welcome to the BOC. Greatest thing for catfishing on the WWW. Lots of great information to be found here and also the BOC library.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576
    George and Mac have taken care of the battery issue. Like they said, just be sure they are secured. I moved three batteries from the back to just forward of mid boat on my tracker. Although they are not in the main front area they do get bounced around more there than they would in the back. I had to make certain the batters could not slide around or bounce out of the floor bracing I added around them to keep the from sliding. I went through a couple of different styles of straps before I found some that would hold them in place. I haven't had an issue since I found some quality battery straps.
    I don't know about doing this with just any type of battery. non-sealed batteries might be a problem. ( I don't know) I used Optima Yellow Top (Industrial) batteries and they are built to take vibration and are totally sealed, maintenance free batteries. You may or may not have issues with other batteries that are not made for heavy vibration or industrial use. I know the yellow tops have worked out great. Pricey but worth it to this point.:smile2:

Moving the weight around will change how the boat preforms in the water. I would suggest you load the boat with a friend up front of possibly us sand bags to represent the weight and how it will be positioned in the boat. That would be easier than doing the work and realizing something might not work like you thought it was going to.

Hope this helps,
    David

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    The way it was explained to me, is that marine batteries are designed for more bouncing and vibration (because that's what boats do). Just secure 'em tight and they'll be okay

6. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the help looks like its time to get to work

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Terry,
    Be sure to let us know how it works out for you and what you end up doing.:big_smile:

My concern would be water (acid) leaking from the caps on a non sealed battery. Low water in a battery and charging that battery will shorten it left span.
    With the Optima batteries i was just repeating what I was told by Optima when i spoke with them about moving my batteries closer to the front.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

8. pinsley

pinsley New Member

State:
    VA
    Another consideration about moving batteries is the length of wire it will take to connect them to the load. The longer the wire, the more it will cause the voltage to drop.

9. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    From what I've heard vibration will shorten the battery's life. I've seen these silicon looking bumper pads sold that you put under the battery to lessen the vibration. Having that extra weight up front will help you get on plane faster.

10. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    agree with these post, am rewiring my 22' sailboat, keep the battery close to your acc panel

11. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have three batteries in my 17 foot G3. Two in the back and on in the front. The front battery in mounted and used for trolling motor only and to be honest it has been the best battery of the three. But I am not fishing alot of rough water either.

I have been thinking about going with all optima batteries also. My understanding with them is that they have a 5 year shelf life and can be mounted in any direction. I put one in my truck and have not had any problems yet. They are also alot lighter.