Battery life

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by renji2476, Jun 30, 2008.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I just bought a trolling motor battery and was out on the river maybe used the motor for a total of 30 minutes and not continuously either but the battery died on me!:angry: So I took it back to Academy to see what the heck was going on:angry::confused2: Well when I got there I spoke with one of the guys that works in the marine section and he told me that the batteries don't come with a full charge when they are sold! You have to charge them and he said that the lower the amps that you charge with (the longer it will take), the longer the battery will last. So if anybody is getting into a jon boat and this is your first time having anything to do with a boat you need to know that before you end up having to paddle around half a mile alone!! Just wanted to inform y'all that didn't know!

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Jesse,

And if you decide to haul A** in high gear a long ways from where you started, you might be doing somemore paddling lol (just some personal knowledge)

Rubes

3. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have two chargers for the 4 batteries that I have..( 2 boats )
    The 1st charger is a small on that is automatic and charges and maintains the battery.....The other is a solar charger located on top of our boat shed. Batteries tend to be overcharged ( cooked ) and causes problems. We run our batteries all the way down so they will not get a memory and only charge to a certain rate. Do a look up on deep cycle battery maint and you will come across some ideas.

4. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    walmart has the best little black and decker "Smart Battery Charger" for @ 39.00 it will only charge to the rate needed so not to over charge. i use it and have not replaced batteries for over a year now i just plug it in when i get home and unplug it before i leave to go to the lake. since i got it i have never had to wait for batteries to charge to fish.

5. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Yeah after this little incident I went and bought me a battery charger and low and behold I ended up with the smart battery charger from wally world myself!:smile2: I guess great minds do think alike!! Thanks for the info!!:cool2:

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Be sure and charge batteries on the marine/deep cycle setting on your charger and charge them at a 2amp rate or you will burn up your battery.

Also when you check the water level in your battery and need to add water, if your battery is not a sealed battery, use distilled water to fill the cells not tap water.

when using a trolling motor. The faster you go the quicker you drain your battery.

I have a jon boat that I only use a trolling motor on but it is a 55# thrust and it will drain a battery down in about an hour if I run it the whole time on the highest speed. If I am camping for a couple days I don't run it in the top speed at all so I'll have plenty of life in my battery to for the whole trip.

When I get home I don't charge my battery back up but wait till I'm getting ready for the next trip. It's not good on a marine deep cycle battery to charge them often or to charge them fast. Marine batteries are not like car batteries. But, if you only bought a marine cranking battery well that's different as well. Marine cranking batteries are built for cranking the gas motors on boats as well as running your electronics on a boat but are not built to handle the drain of a trolling motor.

7. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I do that exactly and the guy at Academy said that the slower that you charge it the longer and better the battery will last. Man am I glad that I have you guys to give me advise!!:0a31::worship::worship::worship: Growing up the closest that I got to riding in a boat was the ferry going to south padre when I was a kid!! My Gramps would be proud that I actually have a boat even if it is a small flat bottom jon boat!!:cool2:

8. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey Jesse,
    Got some questions to ask you, 1st what kind/name of battery did you get? 2nd what kind of trolling motor do you have.

I'm only asking so I can have some idea of what kind of battery to get. I have some old batteries I use now but I just got a new one for my car last night, gonna try it out Saturday.

Rubes

9. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    check out trojan batteries web site theres real some good info, click on the tech link at the bottom of the page then look at lower right

10. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey Bro I didn't see your post till this morning but I will get that info for you. Just so that you know I learned that with 1 battery I can go pretty darn far!! I bought another battery just to be on the safe side and went a good ways out and have yet to use the new one!!! I guess with charging the battery at a low amperage (I charge at 5 amps overnite) like the guy said at Academy the battery does last longer. I was even useing the t/m on the highest setting that I have which is 5. I know that the battery is the one that is sold at Academy and it is in the marine section of the store but right now I can't think of the name but I will definitely get back with you about that.