Battery Lead

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Manny, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Dropped a Marine battery and busted the bottom corner off it. I then thru it in a buckett and cleaned up the mess as quick as I can. I used baking soda to neutralize the acid and washed out the driveway.

Question is it safe to remove the lead ??

And how much lead is in a battery? It still feels very heavy.

Im sure someone out there has investigated this. I dont want to just throw away lead.

I also filled the buckett with water and a box af baking soda.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    It will be interesting to see what people say here. Never thought about this. I dont know if the lead will soak up the acid or not. Good post.

Tom

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    battery lead is not worth messing with.

I worked at a place that recycled batteries on a large scale and most of the lead is in the form of lead sulfate which is very nasty stuff to just try and melt over a fire.

There is lotsa nasty stuff in a battery besides the lead. Best off to just turn em in for the core or take em some place and recycle them.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i tryed it it is not worth it plus the danger

5. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know a couple people who use battery lead and swear by it. I've never done it myself because I was warned that the fumes are very toxic when I inquired about it.

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have also tried it. My results were very disappointing. It is definitely not worth the effort or the risk.

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I dont know anything about battery lead but I just want to say I like the new avatar Brent! Who took that picture?:smile2:

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Imagine that, a photographer AND a fisherman. Good qualities to hand in hand. Now, if we could address that A.D.D., you would be the total package. LOL!!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Ed on this one. Very little lead and Nasty Nasty.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    A.D.D what are you talking about? You don't think I move around to much do you?:smile2::smile2: You know you can only believe 1/2 of anything that comes out of Randy's MOUTH!!!:smile2::smile2: You should hear the stuff that he says about you behind your back. LMFAO I'm just joking you can only believe about 1/2 the stuff that comes out of my mouth too. I think that's why we get along so good!!!:smile2::smile2: Thats why we a fishermen!!!:wink:

11. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Manny, I've tried using battery lead a time or two and agree with most of the post here.....you don't get much for all the effort. However if you got a Saturday and nothing else to ....go for it. Safely dispose of the acid, which in your case doesn't apply..:big_smile: Goggles and rubber gloves are a must here.... split the case with a chisel or cut with a sawall. Remove lead and wash well. Smelt the lead as normal, outside or a well ventilated area. Be prepared to remove allot of slag. As stated in another post here, lead in a battery deteriorates into lead sulfate as the battery is used........and when your all done.....you'll be able to make about two sinkers....:smile2::smile2::crazy:

12. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I tried battery lead and will never do it again. Ditto from the past posts about nasty fumes that can harm and even kill you if you get enough. The other problem is get ready to throw away what ever you melt them in as this stuff is highly corrosive, and it does not even make a fair lead sinker. Catfishjon

13. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Bad thing is when you smelt that lead you are letting of nasty cocktail that can easily kill you and is terrible for the environment if not treated correctly.

Not to metnion what are you doing with all the paste that you wash off of the grids inside the battery. That is actually where mst of the lead is however it takes and investment of about a billion dollars to recycle it on a large scale.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  14. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I agree. I would look elsewhere for my lead. It is not worth the effort and danger of a burn for the amount you will get out of it.

15. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    All very true Ed.The few times I've done this it was nasty and really not worth the effort. By the time your done skimming off the slag you really don't get much for the effort or the risks.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Question for yas.....

If the battery was new but like his damaged, would there be more usable lead in it then ?

Most folks have tried this with old used batteries ; )

17. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    not really.

All in all you are best off to either save old batteries to get your core charge back when you buy new ones or take them to a place that recycles them.

18. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Jim, I'm not a chemical engineer, but I think the answer would be yes. With each cycle life of a battery the electrolysis deteriorates the core, so I would think a newer battery would have more usable lead.

19. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Well, People

There has been some great posts. I dont believe I will br trying it. I do believe this is a great source of info of what not to do.:wink:

It was just a thought and will stay one for me:big_smile: