Battery Lanterns

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by trilly21, Jul 3, 2009.

1. trilly21

trilly21 New Member

State:
    uniontown, pennsylvania
    Hello fellow Catfisherman! I have been doing a lot of night fishing lately, and I was wondering if anyone has any input on lanterns that operate off of batteries. Are there any out there that can come close to what a traditional propane lantern puts out as far as brightness? And if so, where can I find them?

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    There are a couple of brighter battery lanterns out this year. Stick the names in google. One is big and one is small. I think buying 8D batteries for the big one is just too expensive when I have a gas lantern. The little Rayovac one is on my wishlist though.

Rayovac Sportman Extreme LED Lantern -

Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern - High Performance

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
  4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I purchased a coleman lantern from target a few years ago that I take with me most of the time. It cost me less than $20.00 and it is a re-chargable one. It can sure bring in the bugs...so I guess its bright enough!:smile2:

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the boc. try checkin wally world, i have a coleman lantern that works nice, i think i takes 4 D batteries, i never use it for fishin, i use a LED cap light that hooks to the rim of my hat, very brite and cheap and less to carry:wink:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I gpt one of the rechargeable flourescents from Cabelas.It,s the retro model,it looks like the old gas jobs but it,s rechargeable,it comes with 2 chargers, one for your house and a 12 volt one for your car.It puts out as much light as my double burner gas does and goes at least 10 hours on a charge.I still use my gas sometimes though,I miss the smell of frying bugs!WELCOME to the BOC!:wink:

7. trilly21

trilly21 New Member

State:
    uniontown, pennsylvania
    I think thats the one I have been eyeing up too Josh, Its called the sportsman, Ive been looking for it in stores around here before I get it on the net to try to avoid shipping cost but havent found it yet.

8. trilly21

trilly21 New Member

State:
    uniontown, pennsylvania
    Really thanks a lot Josh, I've been wanting to see video of it in action to see for myself, should have thought of looking on youtube myself.:eek:oooh:

9. trilly21

trilly21 New Member

State:
    uniontown, pennsylvania
    Thanks Pat, Im going to check that one out too.

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Bill, amazon with free shipping, I've heard they are at Lowes or Battery Junction has them if you have to pay shipping from somewhere.

The little one is really on my list. The only bad thing is batteries in multiples of 3. They don't come in 3 packs. 300 lumens is a noticeable amount of light. It'll seem like a lot in a white room but I don't know what It'll be like outside where there isn't much light reflected back. It's a good thing to have for a disaster kit. The reviews are all good that i have seen.

You might find cheap batteries online also. I end up buying them at crappy places like the gas station on the way to the fishin hole and it sucks. It would make more sense to just stock up in the first place.

11. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have an old Coleman flourescent lantern that uses either D cells or a 6 volt battery. It seems to be enough light to get the job done but is old enough the stores don't carry the the flourescent tubes any more so I had to order them from Coleman directly. It doesn't put out as much light as a gas lantern but it does have a deflector that slides up and down to close off half the light and deflect it outwards that does work pretty slick if you only want indirect light to save glare on your eyes. I have wondered how bright the new LED lanterns are and the video does seem impressive and seems reasonably priced. This looks like a winner.

:cool2: