Battery hookups

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 1sporticus, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to be able to make sure my trolling motor batteries (24 volt), and my engine starting battery gets a full charge from just one hookup. What I need to know is if it can be done at a reasonable price, and also how to do it.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    You'd have to do that from an onboard charger that can charge/condition each battery.
    And no, the good ones ain't cheap, and the cheap ones ain't good.
    Chargers are just like batteries. A good price doesn't mean you'll get a good charger.
    Be a shame to have a set of good batteries burnt by a walleyworld charger.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I guess I'm still not getting it, I still need to know how to wire it up. I am not familiar with an on board charger set up.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to West Marines website and look under batteries or go to any battery manufacturers site and they will show how to wire them up.TROJAN is a good one.The question is what do YOU intend to charge the batteries with?Keith was trying to tell you that an on board charger with multiple leads is the best way to go as you will have amps going to each battery.If you plan on hooking one single charger to all the batteries at once I don't think you are going to be happy with the results.

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    The other posts tell it like is is my friend. You will need an on-board 3-way charger and they ain't cheap. But man it truley is convient.
    I also have 24v (2 batteries) for my trolling motor battery. What I did was get a 2-way charger (onboard) for the trolling motor batteries and just use a regular charger for the big engine, if needed. I crank my big engine at least once every 3 wks. to top it off with the engine alternator. I rarely have a dead big engine battery.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    OK now I get it, I just wasn't familiar with the onboard charger thing. Now the question # 2, can you hook up a charging line from your engine battery to also charge your trolling batteries?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Not sure what if this is what you're asking, but they do make a gizmo that can charge your trolling motor batteries using excess charge from your engine. Basically, the charger makes sure the starting battery is fully charged first, then diverts charging current to the trolling batteries. Only works when you're underway, of course.

8. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Could you not charge a 24 volt set up with one charger?

It will take longer to fully charge both batteries,but i'm pretty sure it can be done.If i remember right,the 24 volt set up just parrelells the battery wires from to the other,that draws the n24 volts instead of 12.
    So,if memory serves,i would think 1 charger can charge 2 batteries.But,I'd agree on getting a good charger either way ya go.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Batteries connected in parallel (that is, positive to positive and negative to negative) just increase the capacity at the same voltage as one battery.

A 24v system is two batteries connected in series (positive of one to negative of the next). Same capacity as an individual battery but twice the voltage.

A 12v charger won't charge a 24v system. Or at least, it won't do it very efficiently, if at all.

You could certainly hook two batteries in parallel to a 12v charger and they'd both get charged, though as you surmised, it'll take twice as long and be a lot harder on the charger.

10. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    kk,thanx Mr T

I remember when i installed my battery switch it talked about 24 volt and parralel batteries.I must have confused the two.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Mr. T the thingy is called a
    "Perko switch".
    Found on some nicer boats.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a dual Pro on board charger from Basspro, it was like 220.00 or so but its very nice and the charger can be mounted in any position and is fully waterproof. I love it because I can just come home, plug the boat into the wall and never worry about it. You can leave it plugged in 24/7 and it will condition the batteries when needed. The one you need will be a little more expensive since you are running 24v but you will be more than happy with the purchase. :)

13. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    he could use the dual pro for the 24 volt setup,but then need an additional charger for the crankin battery.Best bet woulkd to get a charger that does all 3 batteries and yes they are pretty pricey.

I got the same dual pro charger i think,but got mine from cabelas.It broke,wouldn't charge no morer.Called cabelas and was sent a new one,haven't had a problem since.

14. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    on the same subject, I have this question: how do you figure how much load you can put on a battery and for how long?

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Solomon most batteries have a reserve minutes rating.For instance the SCS TROJAN series 31 battery has a reserve capcity of 225 minutes.That means you can run something with a 25 Amp draw for 225 minutes before the battery is dead.That is about 3 1/2 hrs of continous 25 amp draw.That reserve by the way is the biggest I have seen in a standard battery.This was the battery I ran my trolling motors with and I currently have one aboard to run my live well aerators.Hope this answers your question.If not go to the Trojan website or West Marine and they will have all the answers.:)