Battery discharging

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tufffish, Jul 2, 2008.

1. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if i leave the power connected, in 3 or 4 days my battery is very low. i have only the cables going to the motor and switch hooked up to this battery. i put the dash and all other accessories on a separate battery. i have had the battery tested twice and it shows good.
    thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba's Outboard Advice – If you are having problems with your outboard motor or have questions about routine maintenance or maybe just changing a part out Start a thread in here with your make, model number, and serial number. There are a couple of guys here that really know their stuff when it comes to these engines. You can’t beat the wealth of knowledge found here at no cost to you. USE INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the motor is a 2004 yamaha 60. last nite i remembered to disconnect the hot lead from the battery and it did not discharge. it doesn't seem that there can be many parts hooked up to the system that will discharge it. if i leave the battery connected in 3 or 4 days it will only have about 7 volts.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Run the engine and see if a charge is being put back into your battery.

I've known rectifier/regulators to discharge batt's when they go bad.

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    is there a meter i can use to see if it is charging. i put a volt-ohm meter on the positive and neg leads. there is a short across them. i do not know if it should be open or if it would read a short. if it should read open.. i can start to follow wires and isolate the short. i am away from home or i would take it in to the shop. i may have to find a shop here if it becomes a worse problem.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    To check if it's charging, put your meter on DC volts and check across your battery terminals and see what your voltage is with the motor running. Bob Paul or Bubba can give you a better idea of what voltage your charging system should be putting out, but I'd think you should be getting 12.5 - 14 volts at the battery depending on engine rpms to charge the battery if the charging system is working.

To check and see how much you're draining, set your meter to amps. Unhook the positive battery cable and put one lead of your meter on the positive cable and the other on your positive battery terminal so the meter is in series with the battery and motor lead. Whatever you're reading should be the amount of draw that's present. You should be able to begin disconnecting wires and re-checking until the meter stops reading. Once you see the reading on your meter go to zero, you've found what's draining your battery. Don't crank your motor with your meter in series or you'll most likely cook it:wink:

If you can find a manual it may point you in the right direction to begin troubleshooting as well.

Good Luck!

Branden

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good diagnostic advise.

You should have more than 13.5 at your battery when at idle.

Connect the meter to both both batt terminals, crank the engine and watch your voltage drop. When the engine starts, you should see an increase in voltage, more than what you started with.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If there is anything, such as an LED that runs when the battery is connected, it will gradually run down the battery, as I found out :embarassed:. My trolling motor has an auto pilot, which will discharge those batteries if I forget to unplug the TM when I get home. Took me a little time to figure that one out...

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    DO YOU HAVE ANY FISH FINDERS OR RADIOS THAT MIGHT STILL BE ON?
    PUMPS,LIVE WELL. BILGE, ANYTHING THAT USES ELECTRIC I WOULD CHECK TO SEE IF ITS SAYING ON, HAD A GLOVE BOX LIGHT THAT SAYED ON ALL THE TIME.SAW THE LIGHT PEEKING THROUGH ONE NIGHT WHILE FISHING.

GOOD LUCK
    MOOSE:cool2:

10. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Here is another trick that I have used, Disconnect your battery from the ground and place a test lite between the ground wire and the battery post ( neg post) with all of the switches off the test lite should not lite but if there is a short it will lite. start at your fuse box and remove one fuse at a time till you find the short. if you have removed all fuses, and the lite still is on try your diodes in your charging circuit. see if one of them is shorted that might cause the battery to discharge...

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,an alternator or even the starter can have a short and drain it out.they may still work perfectly when used,but they can still short through pulling current if the engine is still shut down,the power that geos through them is not ran to a switch of any kind.

12. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would disconnect the Positive wire to my starter, then check to see if your still discharging the battery could be your starter has a worn out bushing in it and it could be causing the battery to discharge. what is the rated cranking amps for your starter. If it has a short in it it might still crank but the current draw will be a lot higher. this would be the first place i would look for my shorts at....