Battery charger

Discussion in 'Boating' started by droptine77, Aug 23, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    How can I tell if my house charger is putting out enough to charge my batteries? The past two times I have been out my batteries have not lasted long. The charger is saying full charge after an hour or so but the gauge isn't moving and the batteries are brand new. Is there a certain voltage the charger should be putting out at the terminals?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not sure what kind of "house" charger you have but most have a circuit breaker or a fuse.Mine was doing the same thing until I checked the inline fuse which was blown.Have a look.:big_smile:

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Only reason I said "house" was so someone wouldn't say, You didn't say "on board" or regular charger. lol Thanks Jim.

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I got a brand new battery for my travel trailer about two months ago. After sliding the slide-out in and out a few times, I figured the battery could use topping off.(seems like everyone that comes to my house wants to see the slide-out in the out position,lol). Anyways, I used my little trickle charger, its fully automatic so you can leave it hooked up forever. But when it said it was fully charged I took it off. Well, the next time I tried to slide the slide-out it would move about two inches at a time and stop. So I broke out my trolling motor battery and put it in the trailer. The slide-out worked perfectly. I guess my battery charger malfunctioned and over charged my battery and trashed it?

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    a problem that i had, was that my charger would say that it was fully charged, and the battery wouldn't last long at all, and it happened to my main battery, so i had to jump start the boat from my trollin motor battery... it wasn't fun... but it turned out to just be a bad battery, if u take the battery to where you bought it from they will normally test it for u for free... i bought my batteries from walmart, they are the everstart maxx marine batteries, come with a 3 year direct replacement warranty, so if i have any battery problem, i just stop at a walmart and have them test it... and replace it if need be, and if its still in that 3 years, they just swap it right there.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I bought some batteries for my seadoo boat from walmart. After four months they wouldn't hold a charge. I returned them thinking that I'd get a good deal on some new batteries. I was credited about two bucks a battery!:angry:. They had three month free replacement, but I guess in the fourth month you are SOL, lol.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just as a caution, trickle chargers that you "can leave on forever" will kill your battery quicker than anything.Most trickle chargers have no auto shutoff provision built in.If you are using conventional wet cell batteries that little trickle will eventually boil the water out if you dont check and maintain the battery.Trust me we in the military learned this lesson the hard way.Our ranges use electrical target lifters and deep cycle batteries.We started out with constant voltage trickle chargers and burned up a lot of batteries in the process.The best type of chargers are the ones that monitor the batteries condition and shut themselves OFF when the battery is charged.Sure they cost more but they are worth it in the long run.:smile2:

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mostly FYI :

Battery charging takes place in 3 basic stages....

The first stage of 3-stage battery charging.
    Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no "correct" voltage for bulk charging.
    2nd stage: Voltage remains constant for a while and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts. Some even higher..​
    3rd stage: After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is a maintenance or trickle charge. Its there to Hold them Hot till ya get them off charge.. not forever.. .. Most meters show what they are doing .. Not necessiarly what the need to be doing.. :angry: Most garage type battery chargers are bulk charge only, and have little (if any) voltage regulation. They are great for a quick boost to low batteries, but not to leave on for long periods. without damage.
    These high capacity Batteries are a breed apart and require special "stuff" to really get the best out of them. Thats the reason the "In boat Systems" are so popular and really when ya figure what it costs to hurt one or have a capacty issue due to insufficent chargeing against the cost of a generic charger .. they aint to bad.

..IN the : Too Much info section:
    The Most accurate way to determine the Battery condition is with a Hydrometer and determine the specific Gravity of the electrolite in the battery. Some of the No maint batteries ( Love that name) really should be called Can't maintance batteries... as any lead acid unit needs..requires Maint. These are sealed and you must determine with a Digital Volt meter the % of charge.

Ok I know that rolled everyone eyes back...(Sorry Bout That"), but those yrs in the battery shop sorta came flooding back... LOL

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Thanks Ron good imfo .
    What do you think of a solar cell ? I just got a 5w cell from cabelas to keep up my camper batts.
    Bewell C.R.Mule

10. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    5 watts at what are they 14-15 volts?? (Right??) will do ya little or No harm . IMHO...
    Assuming your experiencing some loss besides the Normal what ever % a battery gives up "Normally" , it will be no worse for it that letting it get depleated which is a death Blow almost as bad as an over charge..

NOW that little fella ain't gonna just take over the Chores of Battery maint for ya .. its just a helper for loactions that don't happen to have pwr for an AC (115) unit. They are Nice ..they are not for restoring a deeply discharge battery, but if she is in shape it should be when ya come back..

Good luck and keep charging..
    R Green

11. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Thats about what I expected .
    Last year in hunt camp I only charged my batt once .I only use one lite to read at nite and it is floresent.
    CR

12. hoosierdaddy47250

hoosierdaddy47250 New Member

State:
    Madison,indiana
    thanks again, for all of the knowlege,that can be found on this web site

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If they are older batteries and you can't afford to replace or just want to try it, drop a couple of plain aspirin into each cell. Gives them a little "life" for a short time. Have had my marine batteries going on 9 years now by just adding aspirin at the end of the year.