Batteries

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Katmandeux, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm due a new starting battery. Before I run down to NAPA, and buy the first marine starting battery I see, I thought I'd ask y'all for input.

What's good, what's bad?

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got 5 years out of my last Walmart, 4 years on the one before. Had couple Sears ( lasted 2 and 3 years) and Interstate came on boat (1 year). Also have got good service from Walmart batteries in vehicles.
    Never tried one of the expensive ones and don't plan on it.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have had great service out of Optima Yellow top (not Blue or red) batteries. The last yellow top I had die on me was about nine years old and it had been abused. That thing had been in four automobiles and three boats. One of the autos was a 1/4 mile drag car of a friend of mine.:smile2: He would borrow it form my boat almost every weekend for a few months. He found out how much they cost and was to tight to buy one.:roll_eyes:
    I also have had very good results from Interstate Megatron series batteries.

Something that I have to depend on starting my boat at 4am on a cold winter night, I don't mind paying the extra $$ for it.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Depends Dave on what you are doing with it.Just starting or are you running lights etc.What size engine do you have and what is the starting amp requirement.Finally what do you want to pay?AGMs are the way to go in my mind but wet cell are still one of the best and most amps for the buck options.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jim, it's a 65hp, 2 cycle powerhead.

The battery will be used for starting, running lights, and, occasionally, a depth finder.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The most bang for the amp buck is the TROJAN SCS 225.This is a traditional wet cell so it requires maint occasionally.That 225 amp minutes is the most you can get in a normal size battery.I used one to start my 50 hp Merc which it did quite easily even though its not a starting battery per se.It also is expensive but will last you for ever if properly maintained.There are plenty of others out there that will get the job done,just make sure it is a marine deep cycle starting battery.:big_smile:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take yer pick. there aint many folks in the world making batteries. You just have a bunch of labels to choose from.
    Who makes the Optima now? Interstate?
    I think it took Interstate buying it to straighten out the problems with the battery according to some articles I read awhile back.

I dont know who makes them but I have one of the AC Delco Voyager deep cycles from 1987? Dang thing still holds enough of a charge to throw it in the jon boat with a 30 pound thrust trolling motor for a morning of fishing on the pond. I'd say I got my money's worth out of that one. It just got a little too weak for a 24 volt system in the bass boat.
    Like Jim said, just make sure you get more then enough cranking amps.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Throw you for a loop, I work for a caterpillar dealer, with that said if you want a battery a real good battery tested for vibration , high amp draw and a big cca capacity, try a caterpillar battery. Not trying to advertise for them, just seen first hand how good they are and how much better they are built compared to other batteries, but they are pricey.:wink:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Since we are on batteries I'll throw this out there again.The biggest cause of batteries failing is sulfation of the plates.With a traditional wet cell you can do something about this.Wally World sells a small bottle of MINN-KOTA de-sulphation compound for about 10 bucks.2 ozs per cell and a good hard charge will knock that sulphation off and restore that battery back to just about like new condition.You can also buy (for a lot more money) solar powered pulse chargers that do the same thing.The military uses the pulse chargers.I have seen batteries given up for dead that were restored by the pulse chargers.Most sulphation occurs when a battery is left in a discharged state for and extended period of time.It can start within 24 hrs.So get those batteries on the charger as soon as you come back from fishing.:big_smile:

10. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Today 01:31 PM tncatfishing Throw you for a loop, I work for a caterpillar dealer, with that said if you want a battery a real good battery tested for vibration , high amp draw and a big cca capacity, try a caterpillar battery. Not trying to advertise for them, just seen first hand how good they are and how much better they are built compared to other batteries, but they are pricey.:win

___________________________________________________________________________________

I hear that. I have heavy equipment that takes a beating thus the battery takes the same vibration the machine does. Those catapillar batteries really seem to hold up.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    They do hold up real well, but like I said they are pricey, but worth it.

12. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've got 2 batteries from Academy Sports, one big deep cycle (mainly for trolling motor) and then the other was a dual purpose battery. I got the dual purpose instead of a starting battery because it has enough juice to start your main motor and still have be good on your trolling motor. So if the main motor was to die I could use both batteries with the trolling motor to get back home.

When I looked around last year, it seemed a lot places had the same or close to the same prices. Just look at for a sale, because that's what i did. Academy Sports had a big sale on batteries from time to time, and I went and got bot mine at that time. I saved about $30 and spend less then $100 on both batteries.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I gave up on Walmart batterys. I was buying 4 - 6 batterys a year. We have a lot of stuff with batterys. I noticed that some were only 2 years old and dead/done/non working. I started buying Deka batterys, they come from Owens motor supply a CarQuest outfit. They cost about 30 dollars more than a Wally World one, but they seem to be holding up well. I stuck two in my boat last year and one in my camper. I will see how they act this spring. Both my trucks have Dekas in them now. I think I stuck one in one of our tractors too.

I bought a Miller Bobcat Welder new in 1999 and just replaced that battery this last summer. Darn thing had Millers label on it so I have no idea who made it. Boy it was a good one.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've got an AC group 27 from '02 that still puts out over 13 volts, but upgraded this spring to a group 31. Both batteries have performed flawlessly.
    Unfortunately AC was bought out this year, and the price of the batteries has skyrocketed.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Now for a car battery I'll go to some place like Autozone and buy a gold top.
    Its their problem then.
    Had one of those going bad after a year and pulled up to the store.
    10 minutes later I was on the road again with clean hands:big_smile:

16. mverick

mverick New Member

State:
    il
    I've used Wal Mart batteries for years. Not because they are good. I change out 4 in my diesel a year and 2 in the boat. But, they have the best warranty. Battery is junk within 3 years they'll swap it. No pro rating.

Pain in the butt. But, great warranty. If you get the marine version I think the warranty is only 1.5 years.

This is the MAXX series.