Batteries

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by txcatfisher, Sep 3, 2007.

1. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    i was wondering how many batteries i would need to run night fishing on my boat and what kind of lighting would be good for night fishing also :eek:oooh:

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    txcatfisher,

Well it sorta depends on how your going to be using them and what you are going to expect out of them.
    Not knowing anything about how you use your rig and the fact you are sort of starting from scratch on the rig, I might suggest you go ahead and spend some of your hard earned $$ on a good Deep Cycle, prob a group 27 and a battery box for it.
    I have even seen a few Boxes that have an external terminal block for remote connections. One like that would make the connections to what ever you decide to experiment with pretty simple.
    That will also give you lots of capacity and lots of flexability that is independent from your cranking/operating battery. It would be a total loss system so you need to recharge from time to time.

Lots of cool fixtures at the Auto Parts store. Licence plate lights , Back up fixtures, Under hood lights, and even driving lights that are available in spot and spread beam configurations.
    I like to use exterior rated extention cord material for my boat wiring projects. It is fairly reasonable as far as price, rated for being outside and tough as nails. On sale a 100 footer is less than 20.00 and thats a lot of projects..
    Good solderded connection and shrink wrap will go a long way making your rig trouble free too.

Good Luck and get after it.

R Green

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm in the same boat, the only lights my boat has is the nav lights (which just quit on me) and 1 courtesy light.

here is what i'm plannin for lighting.

l.e.d. livewell light in the bait well, and livewell
    l.e.d. courtesy lights for inside the boat, so you can see what your doin when a headlamp just won't work.

other than that, i just use a headlamp when i need to see so that i can keep the bugs down, just the stern light bein on while anchored down attracts enough of them

as far as batteries, i would just go deep cycle, you can run all your pumps and lights and fishfinder on 1 battery, then have a crank battery, and also a trolling battery, just make sure that they are securely mounted so that they don't bounce around or tip over. battery boxes are great as they keep the battery dry and if your battery leaks, they are made so that the acid will not eat through the box, just be careful not to get any battery acid on your boat or yourself, and you will be alright.

4. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I urge the use of Dry cell batteries, there the best bang for the buck, in overall performance nothing compares.

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Id have to reccommend no less than two and possibly three batteries. Id use a good deep cycle battery for the lights and a very good high cranking amp battery for the motor. If your gonna be running livewell aerators as well as lights such as the clamp style lights with 12 volt bulbs for long periods of time, you might want to get a third battery and separate some the lights from the aerators. Ive been there before when i didnt have the power and became stranded, trust me its not a good feeling to be out there and wondering how your gonna get back in. lol Anyway, this is just something for you to consider, hope this helps you some... rspd507

6. Heath J

Heath J New Member

State:
    Cleveland,
    If you really want the best check out www.kinetikpower.com . These are by far the best batteries I have EVER used, but they will burn a hole in your pocket........

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You guys are working way too hard.

My starting battery powers all my accessories (depth finder (stays on full-time while I'm in the boat), livewell pump, bilge, navigation lights).

Never came close to running it down in a night of fishing. And I've only put that battery on a charger about twice in the last two years - otherwise it gets charged from running my motor.

Your boat doesn't need to be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Keep it dark and you'll have fewer bugs, use less battery and generally enjoy yourself more. Use an LED headlamp when you need to see to net a fish or tie a hook. Use a spot light sparingly when you need to see something while underway.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    We fish under a bridge at night and the lights attract the fish, the more light the better.
    I have my starting battery separate from the other accessories - don't want to be stranded out on the water.
    Been there done that.