Batteries? - What brand do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by malaki, Mar 25, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    we have covered the flashlight question now what do you guys put in them? i prefer energizer batteries over anything. rechargeables seem good for some things , like the digi cam, but dont seem to hold a charge as long. what do you guys prefer?

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'm mostly going to rechargeables but when I use alkelines, it's either the copper tops or enegizers for me.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jeff, I remember watching a news show (20/20, 60 minutes or something like that) and they done comparative tests on many (non rechargeable) batteries. Their results showed that brand name stuff was no better than the cheap generic ones under identical situations. The only exceptions were like watch batteries and camera batteries.

ST

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That may be the results they showed, but my results show "durracell" in the real world at least 75 percent better then any brand I have tried (pretty much all). Not only do they last longer, they seem to have more juice right from the getgo!

5. Gone Catfishing

Gone Catfishing New Member

State:
    Kansas
    CLIFF NOTES ON BELOW POST: I have no life, tested disposable vs. chargable in spare time, chargable won by a landslide.

I use rechargable batteries for everything. Contrary to what y'all are saying, mine actually last a little over three times longer than disposable batteries. I used my portable cd player, turned the volume all the way off and disconnected the headphones and used Duracells right out of the package purchased the same day. I checked back every 30 minutes and it went dead sometime during the 13th check, giving me 6 hours and 30 minutes of playtime ROUGHLY. I put in my new rechargable ones, made by Rayovac, and did the same thing. After the 13th check, the battery light wasn't even flashing. When I went to bed after the 22nd check, I turned it off and resumed it the next day. 32nd check was when it was dead, making it last ROUGHLY 16 hours. These were rechargable, 1.2v AA batteries.

In case you're wondering, it was a VERY boring snowy weekend. I know it was a really stupid thing to do, but whatever.

6. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I gotta go with the copper top, i use them in my radio control trucks and they seem to last longer than any other batteries i have tried i even tried the rechargable ones, but after a few times recharging them they no longer take a complete charge. and shoot when the batteries don't glow my glow plug they still have enough power to light up a flash light for a few hours.

7. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to explore caves around here and I have several lights with me however I have one of the small headlamps with 4 double A batteries that I leave on constantly while I'm in the caves.Sometimes I'm in there 12-14 hours at a time without ever seeing the light of day.I have used all types and brands and now I use only Duracell.Energizer runs a close second but rayovac and the lesser brands require me to carry 3-4 times the amount of batteries in with me.I do not run any of them all the way down but I try to keep them where they have a good bright light.I run Duracells about 3 hrs. before changing while I have to change the rayovac or cheaper ones about every 45 minutes to have the same amount of light.Rechargeable batteries only keep a good white light about 30 minutes in the same situation.It doesn't matter to me which ones last longer before going completely dead as all I care about is the good white light at the first 1/4 of their life.Even with a hardhat it's no fun banging your head from poor light.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I prefer Copper Top. The Rabbit aint bad though.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I guess it's a personal preference, but I used Duracell for several years, then switched to Energizer. They seemed to last longer than Duracell. I use Engergizer for regular and rechargeable. JMHO

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    duracell copper-tops for me too! although im mostly using rechargables now. you can tell a good battery by its weight.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It depends on the usage. Good rechargeables will run circles around alkalines in high current devices like digital cameras. But they are a poor choice for devices that you don't use too often, like an emergency flashlight, because they self discharge faster.

I use mostly rechargeables for my fishing headlamp. The emergency flashlight in my car has some high $ lithiums - they have about a 10 year shelf life, and more importantly they never leak. For my occasional use flashlights I use alkalines.

Brand wise, I've personally tested Duracell, Energizer, and RayOVac, and see very little difference using them in low drain devices. I usually go with the cheaper RayOVacs.

As to a flashlight being dimmer with rechargeables... Rechargeables do have a lower starting voltage, and most lights are designed around the initial voltage of alkalines. Often you can find a bulb that's made for a slightly lower voltage that works a lot better with the rechargeables. A lot of led lights have a built in current regulation circuit and are less sensitive to voltage - rechargeables work great with these.

12. Kittykiller

Kittykiller New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have to go with Duracell, too. I found out last season that my usual batteries(Everactive from WalMart) didn't last nearly as long as coppertops during my all night fishing trips.

13. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    duracell,altho i have found that some betteries like kodak that came with my camera really lasted well,better than a duracell that i replaced it with

14. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    rechargables is the way to go, in fact they have a flash light that is manually rechargeable when you are out on the bank at night. all you have to do is spin an arm thats attatched to it and it will last for hours.
    seems absolutely genious

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    duracell for most everything. Like someone already said, they last longer and have more juice from the getgo.
    BTW, if you live near a V.A. hospital, buy yer batteries there in the canteen. Its about 1/2 the price of anywhere else.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Durcell makes a brand called Procell. Its hard to find.I used them when I was a pro audio engineer. They will last twice as long. Heres the link if ya wish to try to get them. http://www.duracell.com/procell/home.asp

17. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i agree with ozz the procell are a good battery. and they seem to last alot longer than a standard duracell

18. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I always bought the big packs of Energizers at Sams, but I have rechargable AA and AAA batteries now. They are making them more powerful all the time. I first bought some rechargable AA batteries with a charger for my digital camera at Walmart for about $10. they were 1800ma. I later bought the same thing for my grandaughter's cd player and they were 2000ma. I just bought some energizer rechargables at Sams that are 2500ma. They are the only way to go for cameras and cd players.

19. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use energizers, that's what the local Radio Shack carries, and I work there, hard to beat my price. All I have now are LED flashlights and they last a long time. I also have regular flashlights but don't use them anymore.

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Rechargeable are the way to go for sure. I have most luck with the Energizer ones.