Batteries on boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by knockdown, Mar 17, 2007.

1. knockdown

knockdown New Member

State:
    Kansas
    do you unhook your battery cable between each outing non on board charger
    just charging with bat. charger

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never did Todd before I had an on board. I always had more than one battery in the boat. I would run the charger on each before I went out again.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just hooked up the charger when I got in, left the batteries hooked up.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv got 2 batteries one for motor and front lights one for fish finder and rear light i havent charged either in over a month but have only been out a few times and not at night it seems the lights suck the life out of them thinking of switching to led's

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Install a battery switch.
    You can cut on battery 1 or 2 or both.

6. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree battery switch is the way to go...real lifesaver....ive got my main starting battery on #1 and 2 deep cycles on #2 never have to worry about starting .......

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know a whole lot about batteries and charging them but I believe that a battery switch should help out... on the other hand I have a question of my own.
    I have got 2 batteries, one exclusively for the trolling motor which I constantly have to charge and one for the motor and all of my electronics- depth finder, anchor lights, navigation lights and search head lights. This battery has never been charged since I bought the boat from the dealer a year and half ago.....do I need to worry since I have never charged it. They said as long as my motor runs a little bit on each fishing trip that it should be keeping the battery charged up enough to where it is never an issue. Even after 3 long cold Iowa months this winter my motor turned over and started right off the bat. Should I keep on relying on this or should I take some precautions?

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got all my stuff hooked up on one battery, lights, fish finders, and motor..I turn the fish finders off when the engine is not runnnig, the only thing that stays on is the lights...I have never had a problem. Like you said the battery should recharge when the boat is started...I do bring an extra battery along ..JUST IN CASE though.

9. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    RiverKing......the "just in case" is what I am afraid of. I am so use to relying on this battery that I know someday it may fail and I probably wouldn't have enough juice in my trolling motor battery to crank it over,

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When on a boat I never leave home without a boost box.
    I have a 800 cranking amp boost box with several male and female cigarette lighter plugs for a spotlight , cell phone , etc.

Its a real life saver and cuts alot of worry out of those all nighters and worrying about running your cranking battery down.
    I got the biggest one Walmart had . I think I paid 60 bucks for it.
    It comes in handy around home too for tractors, lawn mowers , and cars.
    I've helped a many a person out in a parking lot with something so simple everyone should have one.
    With todays onboard computers in cars and boats I'm leary about jumping off another vehicle.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah the jump box would come in handy, but I move so often when I fish that the battery never gets low. The best thing I bought for my boat was a nice high dollar on board charger, it keeps the batteries in top shape. I run a remote control spotlight, depthfinder,stereo,nav/anchor lights and my batteries do just fine. I'm sure someday I might eat my words but for now they work great.

12. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I always would charge mine the night before i would go but im going to see if my motor will charge everything now.

13. anlogk8

anlogk8 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would recommend either charging your batteries before each trip or getting a batter switch (easiest)

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Same here Mark, I won't go out without a jump box and a spare five gallons of gas.
    I recharge before each outting.