Baton Rouge Area Mississippi River Fishing 2010

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by mullyden, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    A new year is here! Unfortunately the Mississippi River is not cooperating at all. The level is at unprecedented high levels and is not forecasted to drop until mid month. I hope we get some action going in the area and start some active posting to show some fishing successes. I suspect there may be significant flooding issues on the river should it not drop significantly prior to the spring thaw. Maybe some bait catching (shad/skips) opportunities will happen when the Bonnet Carre and perhaps the Morganza spillways are opened if necessary. Happy New Year to all of you.

2. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Happy New Year to you as well Mr. Abbott !!!

3. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I saw the brackets and it looks like the Saints will get another shot at the Cowboys if they make it past Eagles. I guess we'll see if we need to revive trash talk about the rematch.:cowboy:

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Mullyden, I hear you on the floodgates situation. And I believe they didn't open the Morganza spillway last time because they were afraid that the structure would fail as the water will erode the concrete that's already decaying. One thing's for sure, if they open the Bonne Carre again I'm definately goin snag! There were pictures from when it last opened of people catching tons of huge catfish and carp by means of snagging.

5. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went last Thursday at night for about 4 hours. River was rising but really high. All the shad I wanted but only one small hit. Still nice to be out there and see the free fireworks show on both sides of the river:curl-lip:

6. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Kajun-
    How do you go about catching the shad? I have never seen evidence of them in the river although I'm sure they are there. I would like to be able to get em if I cannot get skips. Thx

7. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Fella's I have been deer hunting alot lately with very little success. I hope the fish cooperate more than the deer have.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    how you been Roy? had wondered if you were ever gonna get back on the site. where you been?

9. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Flathead,
    I hope the river improves shortly. The level is now slightly below the Donaldsonville launch point. Someone needs to see if they are biting!

10. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    Man, I have been deer hunting so much that I lost track of everything. And the bad thing is the year has been horrible. Bought a new bow, made a bad shot and hit a doe in the hip. Could not find it of course, shot another doe and she ran in a slough,gone. Missed an eight point with my rifle at 175 yards, too nervous. Shot a doe with my rifle and my little boy shot a doe with his. Last year I shot eight between here and Mississippi compared to this years one. I cant wait for it to end on Jan 31st that way I can gey back to fishing. I seem to have better luck at that. If I learned anything this year its that deer hunting is 80 percent luck and 20 skill. Right place right time is the key to deer hunting success. You can waste all the money on this that and the other and if you are not there when it walks out too bad. Anyway I ain't gonna complain anymore. Lets talk some catfishing.

11. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    I got so much bait stored of from last year, shad and slicker I need to put some in the water. I also started a worm bed the middle of last year and it is doing great. So if we go sometimes I got all the worms we could ever need. How has David been doing?

12. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Dave is doing fine. He came over for a while last weekend. He decided to lay out of college this semester. I'll pimp him some to do some posting. He is rarely short of words! CATDADDY, WHERE ARE YOU?

13. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How the hell have ya'll been? Never mind, i just talked to Roy so we are pretty much caught up and Denny, I know what you have been up to, so i'll talk to ya'll again in July.

Just kidding. I am ready to get on the water. If anyone has Facebook send me a friend request. http://www.facebook.com/david.carroll2?ref=profile

14. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Been absent for a long while but have to share fishing experiences around Profit Island(Port Hudson). Got involved with a camp expansion on the Island late summer and began running some lines and fishing in the "chute". Got outright addictive and started keeping the boat at the launch and began "sneaking" away from work to fish weekday afternoons. We'd take a pack of chicken hearts on kahle hooks with 2 oz egg sinkers. The north end of the chute by island has a rock wier where currents have dug varying depth holes behind it. We were catching small stipers and cats in the holes. When the River came up to 32'-34'(BR) everything shut down. The River flooded approx 3/4 of the island the first time- ran off the deer just in time for opening gun weekend.
    Long story short- the River has had everything messed up the entire season. Anyhow- this little gem is only 30 minutes from the house. Look forward to getting back out there after gun season closes and the River is manageable at 19'.
    Good luck to all and hope to post "current" reports shortly. mike

15. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Which side of the river do you live on? I live on the east side of Hwy 19 between Zachary and Slaughter. We need to have a mini gathering as soon as the river drops to a level where we can catch some fish.

16. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Mike, be sure to let us know when you get back out there. It will be nice for all of us to get out there again. You mentioned that you leave boat at the "launch". Does that mean there is some sort of landing that lets you get in and out? We'd like to hook up with you sometime and see how the pros do it!! It would be really nice to be able to go north or south and catch fish. It would also be closer to Catdaddy. Thanks for the post and welcome back. Denny

17. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    I gain access to the River on the EAST side. I go Hwy 61 North and go west on Irene road pass the EBR Shooting range onto State Police property and take a logging road to concrete launch on the "Chute'.
    Several commercial guys launch out of there-don't know where they go. You could get to the weir in a small bateau IF the River is low and little current. Folks have alot of trot lines on the run outs of the east bank. Haven't had to go to the west bank. Barges are making a sharp turn on that side of the island. I like to stay clear of that.

Defintely would like to hook up with you all when the River goes down at hunting season ends. There will be alot of activity thru Feb. The hunting camp was talking about having a hog drive after gun season closes. to get rid of the nuisance. Let's keep in touch!!!!

18. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mike, is the logging road very muddy and does it run through a hunting club? Are you a member of the club? Let me know if they need another shooter to help get rid of some hogs. I have rifles and shotguns that are knocking on the gun cabinet door, I haven't been hunting this year at all.

19. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Not a member of the club- but know the lease owner and others out there. Coordinated materials for the camp addition- and have hunted there as a guest . Don't hunt much -real interest is fishing but have permission to launch . Anybody launch out of barge terminal Rd? This is approx 5 miles south of Irene rd access. Running north in the main channel is approx 15 minutes to the sand bars at Profit Island. You guys launching behind GP (Port Hudson) or off the Pennington site further north.?

20. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Denny and I haven't launched from the area before. I am going to ride over that way tomorrow and see where we may be able to launch. When I was a kid we used to launch behind GP but I haven't been over there in many years.