Bates Old River (Dead River)

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Quercus Alba, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Quercus Alba

Quercus Alba New Member

State:
    The midlands, SC
    Hello all. I just recently stumbled upon this site and was curious if anyone fishes the Dead River on 601? I fished it for the first time a month or so ago and have concentrated on the bream thus far. Does anyone fish this area? If so I sure would like to know yalls general thoughts on the fishing situation. It sure is a nice area.

Thanks

2. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I've been there only once and it was last year, caught a few bream, nothing to brag about. Did talk to several ppl that say they fish the area and they said that bream, bass, crappie, and and bowfin is pretty much all that you'll catch in there. They said catfish were few here and there and nothing of any size. I guess it's not enough current to attract them.

Joe

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't the slightest clue to where you are referring to.

Welcome to the board.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Is that open to the public? I see folks fishing there when I cross along 601, but didn't know if it is public or private access. Thomas, this is the small lake on the east side of 601 before you get to the Congaree landing, heading South.

BTW, Welcome to the BOC!!!!!

5. Quercus Alba

Quercus Alba New Member

State:
    The midlands, SC
    Hey fellas I appreciate the information. Yes Sir it is open to the public. I am headed over there in a few hours with my sister and her fiance. We will be fishing for bream. You are right about the bowfin. They have been pure heck on my bream hooks:eek:oooh:

Thanks again.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I came by there today coming from Charleston. We called this place Dead River back in the '60's. The land around it was private but we would come in from the river. It was a very rough ride jumping logs to get there. The entrance from the river was up-river from the 601 bridge. Never did well enough to justify the effort to get there.

It is an oxbow lake formed when the Congaree changed course many, many years ago.

7. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    It is open to the public but it doesn't have an actual boat ramp. It does have a small parking area and a dirt ramp. Don't know if I would try to launch a boat of any size from there, works fine for a jon boat. Seems to me that the entire river is just a half circle about a mile or two that is fed by a small creek from the river and another small creek that empties back into the river. It is intresting to see the variations of small boats that the locals use in there. I swear I saw one guy fishin off a surfboard with a cooler as a seat.

Joe