Bates Bridge Landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by gotta go, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Anybody been down that way fishn for catfish. I been having so much fun everywhere else that i haven't been.
    Thats 601 landing on the Congree:big_smile:

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dean, I go there quite a bit, work-related, and see a lot of people fishing for catfish.. as well as other species. It's a nice river to fish, and I especially like the upper Santee below the congaree/wateree confluence. Those bars on the inside curves sometimes hold some pretty nice fish, too.
    The water is definitely very high right now; use caution if you go.

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    but I wouldn't waste my time right now. I live about 5 miles from the landing and cross that bridge every day. It's been an absolute churning mudhole for the last couple of weeks. The water is flowing red all across the flood plane and every dead tree from Ft. Motte to Columbia is trying to find it's way to Charleston.

That being said, its some of the best catfishing in the world when it's right. We fish this stretch every summer and while you might get skunked, it's also not unheard of to land four or five 40+ lbers in a night. Very little development along the waterfront in that area so it's just a beautiful area to fish too.

If you ever have time and want to give'er a shot, drop me a line and I'll give you an update on the water conditions.

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks guys, i figured it was up. We were going the other week but after the rain i figured i had beter wait. I love fishn when the water is right. With all the trash it seems i never did real good. I almost always go below were the 2 rivers meet, starting on the left were they do meet. Someone seems to camp there a lot and even leaves there tarp. I have caught a lot of nice cats in that river and hung some i never seen. Thanks

Mudfish, i'll check before i haul. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, if you go, check out this houseboat, if it hasn't been washed away by the high water.
    This guy's been staying in a camper since July and working on this boat. It was still there a couple of weeks ago; he's made a ton of progress on it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Man, it has been awhile sence i been down there:big_smile: that thing would be nice to have on a lake or river.

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I got to go check this out

9. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Tommy,is that the"Indigo Queen"??,There use to be be a big paddle wheel houseboat ancored just down river from the 601(lugoff) landing.Im just wondering if thats it. Anyone one here remember seeing it at lugoff??

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It was called 'Morning Star' when I first saw it, but later was renamed to 'Dixie Queen', I think.

11. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    looks like he's done a heluva job on it.put that thing on the water close to the(day job) you wouldn't catch me at home much...:big_smile:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I never seen anything like that at the luggoff landing:big_smile: and if it was how in the world did they get it down that curvey Wateree River? Some of them turns are so sharp you can read the # on the back of your engine.
    It would have been a trip just to watch. I hope its still there when i go or at least somewhere

13. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Yep,there was one there at one time,just downstream from the landing.I cant remember if it was a double decker like in Tommys pic or not.I can remember the big paddlewheel on the back.I often wondered myself how in the world they got it up there(or down there).I havent been downstream at lugoff in years,,its been two since Ive even been upstream.Hopefully in another year or so the new striper laws will have worked and they will make a strong come back and "ol' sam with be chasing them at lugoff again.I am bout to get excited just thinking about it!!!:wink:

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The boat I saw was a single decker at first, then he added a second deck, as well as pontoon on the outsides and a walkway around the boat. He has had his family with him all this time, too.

15. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    mercy!talk about pushing the envelope:)wonder about the power source , and if the paddlewheel the main or only source of propulsion?(or at all)

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    He was running the engine one day while I was there and it sounded like a diesel.

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nice pics Tommy. Thats pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

18. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yup..that guy has been down there for awhile now...he has come a long way with that boat...The Dixie Queen from Camden, SC...i havent been down there in a while but a fella at work said he went down there recently and when he got back to the landing he had to swim back to his truck..my poor boat has been sitting at the shop for almost 2 months and they still havent gotten to it....anyone need a fishin buddy?