BassPro in Independence - 103lb Blue Cat

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by GaryF, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Saw on tonights local news that they transported a 103lb blue cat to the new BassPro in Independence. Wonder where they got that......? It's got to be Phil King's catch from last year. The grand opening is set for Feb 20th.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont know where they got it but i sure would like to catch it lol.

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Hey Gary thats the one I donated. I caught it here in are farm pond on my sons Scooby-Doo pole. :wink:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Wish I would have caught it.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
  6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yup, I'd say it is the one Phil King caught.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I sure hope it isnt the fish Phil King caught. If it is, then I was lied to and I really dont like being lied to.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sounds like a great fish regardless of who caught it, this is the catch of most of our fantasies. Congrats and I hope to replace it with the one I catch!!

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    that fish and the 108 lber caught at Memphis belongs in the Mississippi river where it came from.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice of them to decide 103 was too big to eat. Guess anything under 103 is dinner?? :sad2:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats a monster. Im glad to hear that it survived the trip, and is doing well. Last I heard "Buddy" at Cabelas is 113 lbs. They weigh him once a year. I got to feed him last year. I sure would like to see a 100 lb. flathead in an aquarium.

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hey branden ,welingtons where we fish all the time ,wish we would of seen that one

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i wish you guys would stop downing somebody catching a big fish are you all so jealous that you didnt catch it is killing you ?????? you all sound like a bunch of brat 10 year olds let the people enjoy there catch instead of picking it apart.

there fish there choice atleast they did a great thing so everybody could see this fish !!!!!!!! for others to enjoy

it made me sick the way some people on here disrespected radish the guy that caught the monster in the mississippi river that took pictures with a rope in its mouth to hold its head up so his wife could take some pictures of it then he turned it lose. myself that radish is a great guy and not many would of turned it lose. instead of congradulating him on his catch some tried to tear him down:angry::angry: again i think its all cry baby jealousy .

i praise radish on his monster bluecat and the person who caught the 103 lber way to go !!!!:wink:

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bob, you have hit the nail square on the head. It is as shame our egos and claim to fame gets in the way most of the time. I get upset seeing those smal 20 lb cat at Bass Pro's. They are just putting in their time tell they go belly up.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's not jealousy - simple conservation and common sense. I didn't see anyone be disrespectful or minimize the fact that both were big fish or take away from their abilities as anglers. Radish's is the probably the biggest blue I've ever seen in a picture. And it's a great testament to his respect for the fishery and the resource that he turned it loose. And it's great (although it could be better if it was still in the river) that at least they didn't kill the one in Bass Pro. Do I think it's ridiculous to hear somebody say "we decided it was too big to eat", as if it even needed to be discussed, about a fish that's within spitting distance of a world record and that's been in the river for at least a decade, if not more? You're dang right.

Do you honestly believe that some of us mention "conservation", "catch and release", "preservation", etc as a cover to hide our jealousy about someone else catching a big fish?? The big fish some of these jokers are bragging on could very well have been released by some "brat 10 year old" like those of us who talk about catch and release during some point in their existence.

Am I stupid enough to think that the only thing stopping me from catching a 100 pound fish is that one got put in the tank at BPS? Nope. Am I stupid enough to believe there's an endless supply of them so I should be able to take as many of them as I want, diminishing a resource that's here for all of us, so I can show them off or brag to my friends at the fish fry how big it was (like a brat 10 year old)? Nope.

If you're tired of hearing people like me complain about big fish being taken from our waters, for sale, for food, or for fun, guess what? I'm tired of hearing about how "God gave us mastery over the animals" as an excuse for wanton slaughter of big fish (or anything else), "it's my fish to with as I please" as an excuse for the simple desire to show everybody how big a fish was, "it's their livelihood", as a reason for letting people basically steal our natural resources for profit, and "some people need them to eat". Do the math, if you can afford $3 a gallon gas, a boat, and the gear to set your lines and then run them 2 or 3 times a day and make that your plan for feeding your family maybe that time and money should be invested in a trip to the grocery store or the time and energy to fill out job applications.

In the age of photography anyone truly interested in preserving the fisheries has absolutely no reason to have to take a trophy fish any further than the spot where they caught it to have a record of it.

I don't think anybody would give me a whole lot of props for bagging a trophy buck with a leg trap and I've got about the same amount of admiration for somebody who catches a fish like that on a set line. Probably a little harsh, but my point of view.

Scotty, I like you and I think you and I would probably see about eye to eye on most things but on this one I'm gonna have to disagree. Sorry if I came of disrespectful and grouchy, but it's been that kind of week:eek:oooh: Have a great weekend!

Branden

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I am sorry scott but i have to agree with branden ,anything over 15 lbs i think should be released after a pic is taken ,we all have different apinions,but i believe that any fish that lived that long should be returned for someone else to have the chance to catch.

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Dayum that is one big monster. :crazy: Fish of a lifetime.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    agreed. i would like to get to see a fish that big, but it needs to be in the river. a blue cat has to migrate to spawn.

20. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Excellent point, Branden. And as a 10 year old brat myself, I pretty much agree with the method of thinking that advises conservation of limited resources, or at least not be grossly wasteful. Frankly, if every fish that was caught (up to and including trophy flatheads) were to lose their skin and swim in grease...not only would we all have heart disease but there'd be nothing worth catching.

And while we have mastery over a great MANY animals, apparently there are caveats and exceptions for sharks, lions, tigers, elephants, rhinos, hippos, snakes, poisonous frogs, and in the case of medieval Europe -- the flea.