Basspro Catmaxx series

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Trophy Hunter, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if anyone has tried or uses the Catmaxx baitcaster and 7' med/heavy setup from Basspro shops? You can buy the combo for $95. I am new to this forum and everything I read here talks about Ugly sticks and Abu Garcias.

2. (GutMaster)

(GutMaster) New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    I have two Ugly sticks tiger rods match up with two penn reels 7ft M/H 30/60 line. It's like they are made for each other. It cast good to.

Attached Files:

3. (GutMaster)

(GutMaster) New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    I have two Ugly sticks tiger rods match up with two penn reels 7ft M/H 30/60 line

4. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have heard good things about the ugly sticks but I saw the Catmaxx and it looked like a nice setup. Anyone fishing these?

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I use 7' ugly sticks with open faced reels,I own a few bait casters but always seem to use the ole faith fulls .lol

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Anyone know any good baits for big flatheads in Indiana rivers and ponds? I usually use Bluegills..............

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    this spring i bought 3 set ups. (got sick of swiching around my bass fishing stuff every time i decided to go catfishing) one is a 7' MH ugly stik catfish casting rod with a gander mountain gs-66 reel (equivelent to the pflueger trion-66 i believe). it's a nice set up for tight quarters on the bank and can cast pretty well, although i don't like using anything much heavier then 5oz on it. the other rods i got were the catmaxx 10' heavy action and a 9' medium heavy action casting rods. both have abu ambassader C4 6500 reels on them. i love the rods, they do have a lot of back bone to them and are quite stiff for there action. and i don't mind. their great for pulling big fish out of trees and through current. both cast great too. i've caught a couple 20+ pound flatheads on both rods and neither had any trouble with them. i definately recommend them. if you're lookin' for a casting rod, i'd try to get a grip that has the trigger. i'm not even sure if thats offered on the catmaxx rods, but i wish mine had it on them. trying to cast a pound of stuff 50 - 75 yards feels a little nuts with out that little trigger to hold on to.

nin

8. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

I had two of those cat-maxx's from bps and both failed. I started reeling in a fish one night and my drum would not turn with the handle. I took it apart to see plastic gears worn down. Never the less i took the reel back to bp and when i talked to the sales guy in fishing he said this is common and he also called it a crap-maxx. I would stay with either a abu-garcia or penn220/320

Tommy D

9. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i dont see the point it getting the cat maxx rods for 95 bucks when you can go to wal-mart and get an ugly stick catfish rod for like 30-35 bucks and get a tidewater for 30 more, about 30-40 bucks cheaper and works just as well

10. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks to everyone that has posted. If anyone else has an opinion I would love to hear it! Thanks.

11. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Abu Garcia 6500 and 7' Catfish Ugly Stick

About $100.00 at Walmart total.

Go get 'em!

12. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    iv had a combo like that.... LOVED the rod...still as i dont know what and was awesome and didnt cost a arm and a leg.....cant say much for the reel....lost some hogs thanks that the drag not being strong..... clicker wasnt strong or loud.... for smaller catfish they might b alright but id go wit a abu or penn somehting around them lines for big uns

13. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    where would you pay 100 dollars for cat maxx rod?

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Mark, I'm not sure about the ugly stick fetish. There are lots of suitable rods out there depending on what you want to do. Most of it depends on how much weight you want to throw and how far you want to throw it.

i think I saw one of those rods once and it looked just like the quantum bigcat. I have one of those. The heavy one definitely lives up to it's name.

15. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    I don't know about the reels, but the rods are OK by me. I have caught a few 40 and 50 pound blues in heavy current and been very pleased with how the rod handled the fish. I really like the way they load up, the weight is distributed evenly from the tip to the base of the rod. Plenty of flex, but still stout enough to pull anything you'll ever catch. I think they are well worth the money you pay for them.

16. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Basspro.com has them for $89.98 for the 7' med/heavy with the baitcaster reel. Thanks for all the good input!

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The catmaxx rods are good, but the reels I would not buy

Here is a combo I just got, 7 ft m/h ugly stik tiger rod, with a shakespear tidewater 20L reel, about 90 bucks...

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I recommend the Catmaxx rods as I have 5 of them and use them quite often. They are on the stiff side so if your looking for something with a softer tip you may want to go with another rod. The Catmaxx rods can handle about anything and cost about $50.00.

19. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    well before they raised the price of the reel it wasnt a bad deal it was 25.00 bucks cheaper than the 6500, and same price as 6000.
    they are a 6 ball bearing so you can throw them a country mile, and they have a really smooth retreive. my cousin uses them alot and loves them. but me personally you can buy a 6500 for same price now.

20. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont like the catfish ugly sticks butt the ugly stick tigers are sweet