Bassfishing

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by pendog66, Feb 11, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    My cousin is looking for some baitcasting reels for bass fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions???

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The smaller Abu's are great! I have used 5500's for bass alot, works great for them!

Zakk:)

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks Zakk, i'll tell my cousin

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, cool man. He would not be dissapointed with one of those.:)

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If he has a lot of money to spend, you can't go wrong with the Quantom Tour PT. It is one the smoothest reel i have ever held. It's got a 7:1 gear ratio, so you can burn them buzz baits spinners through the water. Another great reliable reel is the Shimano Curado. They also make that with the 7:1 gear ratio now. If he doesn't have much money to spend, a quantom accurist, or a cheaper shimano will work.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I like the Quantom Tour edition rods and reels, I was working with a guy near Louisburg, Kansas that was up near the CEO of Quantum and gave me a rod and reel combo for free, he also gave me some fishing lures and some other items too. He told me to tune my buzzbaits which I did not know about. Hold your buzzbait out the window while driving down the highway and when it starts to make a higher pitch tone they are toned. It makes a different tone in the water as an end result. In his house he has a couple of 10 to 13 lbs bass hanging on his wall that he has caught down at the Lake of the Ozarks. During the summer months the best lure that he used at night was a black buzzbait with a white grub.

chris

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Well it depends a lot on how much your cousin fishes and how serious he is about it. All brands make good reels, but they all make cheap ones too. Personally I try and buy the best I can afford up to and not over $100.00 with my bass or cat reels. I have some 20 and 30 dollar Shimano's and Quantum's in my basement right now and guess what, they're junk. I own the same brand, but in a higher quality model and have been using them for years now.
    Try getting quality reels from e-bay or out of your local news paper. Many bass fisherman like to "keep up" with whats new and will sell there "old" gear cheap. Most people that pay $100 for a reel are gonna take decent care of it, but people tend to negelect cheaper reels cause it not too expensive to replace them. Once again, E-Bay.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    He's starting to get serious the way i was, and im kinda converting him to catfish as well. He wants good reels, and you guys have given me a good list. I know my cousin and i will do quite a bit of bass fishing and catfishing out of the boat this year

9. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Check with the basspro shop brands, they make some great combos. I like the Bonic Blade rods they will run you around 80.00.

chris

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I use shimano curados and citicas and i am very happy with them.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks for the suggestions guys