Bassboat or pontoon?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kybunniebuster, May 14, 2006.

1. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    ok guys here is the question i have a 1986 bassmaster boat with a 86 mod. 80hp merc i have found what i think i have been wanting but i have never owned one or even been on one before a guy is wanting to trade me a 1987 24' safari pontoon boat with a 100hp merc for my 17' bassboat now i can fish two off of the bassboat easy but anymore people than that and it gets rough real quick and i have 3 kids and a wife that want to fish with me and a father that wants to go all the time pluss a friend that wants to fish from thursday night until saturday night also so i figured the pontoon would be better for me as far as room goes but would it be a pain to haul from place to place fishing or would it be something i should take someplace and leave it docked ? i have always wanted a pontoon but i dont know if i would be bettering myself any by trading for it or if i would be hurting myself any thoughts?

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    If I had the money I would get a pontoon they look so comfrotable, with a lot of fishing room. Hope I get to ride on one someday.

3. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would definatly go with the pontoon I fish from a bass boat now, but use to have a pontoon .... Hands down, the pontoon is better for catfishing alot more room , easier set up as far as lanterns , fishing rods, and you can move around with out rocking the boat in the middle of a good hit ....

As far as hauling , its not hard to get from home to lake or where ever you need to take... Really not much different than hauling any other boat. Loading and unloading is pretty much just like a bass boat (Drive Off & Drive Off)

My father and mysel are looking to trade our bass boat or a pontoon at this time......

Hope this info helps ya out

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kenny, who made you the chauffer? I can see the dad and family...their yours...friends are important, but he could get his own boat. Your probably a lot like me and like to help support people your not responsible for...thats why I am not independently wealthy ... I have supported too many others. lol. But, it's hard to change your personality...you are who you are...so, get the pontoon.

5. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    thanks guys im off right now to go look at the boat ill let ya know what happens when i get back wish me luck lol

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    One thing I would do before trading is to take the pontoon out on the water.
    We test drove a few before buying the one we have. The difference in the stability and handling of them was pretty surprising. By stability I am talking how the deck and frame, etc. react to the waves/wakes, rough water due to wind, etc.
    As for bass boat vs. pontoon its pontoon hands down IMO with you having wife and kids that would enjoy going with you. Don't miss out on fishing with kids and spouse. Those trips are what memories are made of for many of us! :)

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    For your situation the pontoon sounds better. Just make sure everything is in good order before you decide to trade.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    pontoon hands down for what your needs seem to be. I own two bassboats a 95 tracker and a 2006 ranger but its just me and the wife and they do what we want to do. I use my ranger just for bass and use the tracker for trolling and other types of fishing and even bass fishing. If I had a family at home still I would get rid of the tracker bassboat for sure and get a toon just for the family but keep my ranger for my bass fishing. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

9. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    I had a bass boat 17' and now have a 20' Pontoon boat and I love it.
    For fishing or just going on the lake.

BIGCAT GarryEads:lol:

10. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Weel this is going to sound biased, but I just purchased a Pontoon from Suntracker. I had the same dilmea you had. Not enough room for the family and they all like to fish. Plus if I want to go out on an overnighter with my BOC buddies there is enogh room for all of us and we can even sleep on the seats. I guesss it is really what you need that will fit the bill.

11. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    yeah, and until you get a trailer, you are more than welcome to fish off my bass boat! you gotta share the knowledge about pontoons not coming with trailers.:big_smile_2:

12. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    ok guys here is the results after looking at the boat i think he now owns a bassboat:big_smile: and im taking the pontoon the only things that i seen wrong with the pontoon is the decking has a small weak spot6 in it but not major and the tilt motor is out so he says (could be just the switch) but ive only got $1100.00 dollars in the bass boat as it sets so i dont think i could get a pontoon in this shape for what i have invested in the bassboat ( oh yea it has a high low trailer with it also)

13. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah Id much rather has the pontoon anyday then the bassboat for catfishing there more stable and of course more room for you 15 rods,2 lanterns, grill, cooler and your dog and 3 buddies

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here is my opinion.

I own a pontoon and a center console and fish for catfish off of both. I have not owned a bass boat, but I have fished with a friend on his bass boat for catfish and for bass and I seriously considered one before I purchased the center console.

Here is my take on both boats:

They call them bass boats for a reason. Bass boats are designed for an angler at the front and an angler at the rear and aything more is tight. Access to rod holders for catting is not as easy as on other boats and the walk around room is minimal Gear storage is limited. They go fast and they trailer easy.

Pontoons have as much room as an ocean going cabin crusier. They are affordable to operate and very safe for kids due to the rails. There is plenty of room to fish all around.

The down side to a pontoon is that it is like a small sailboat in the wind. They are tough to effectively anchor and fish when there is a wind. For trolling or drifting in the wind you will become the master of the drift sock and trolling motor. Dropping them in the water is a breeze, but if there is a cross wind they can be a bear to trailer. If you can get one with rails and without the side panels you will be glad you did. Last, they are slow.

So, with all that said, if I had a choice in your situation I would go with the pontoon. If you plan to take family, friends, and kids out, then it is your best bet.

15. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yep bassboats are limited on a few things as they are spiecies specific. But I do have to disagree with this one small statement I have tons of storage on either one of mine. I carry on a average of 19 rods and reels on either boat and carry enough tackle to open a tackle store I have tons of storage dual live wells etc. but as I have said before I feel a pontoon is perfect for his needs.