Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Funny thing when I lived in upstate NY I had a buddy show me how to reach down in the gullet of a bullhead with your fingers to get swallowed hooks out. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him do it then after he showed me I always got the same look from people on the bank its awesome not losing all your hooks and having to retie 30 gazillion times. It's about 95-98% success rate. Occassionally you'll have 1or 2 that's just lodged in there too tough. I'll have to do a video for you guys when I get back stateside where I can catch some bullheads. Bass thumb is no comparison after a day of reaching in a bullheads gullet 30-50 times

I might be a touch sadistic...but I always laugh when I see somebody lip a bullhead the first time

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Funny thing when I lived in upstate NY I had a buddy show me how to reach down in the gullet of a bullhead with your fingers to get swallowed hooks out. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him do it then after he showed me I always got the same look from people on the bank its awesome not losing all your hooks and having to retie 30 gazillion times. It's about 95-98% success rate. Occassionally you'll have 1or 2 that's just lodged in there too tough. I'll have to do a video for you guys when I get back stateside where I can catch some bullheads. Bass thumb is no comparison after a day of reaching in a bullheads gullet 30-50 times
use a 1/8 oz jighead if possible. harder for them to swallow. does happen but rarely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
use a 1/8 oz jighead if possible. harder for them to swallow. does happen but rarely.
This is what I do. I also smash down the barb to make hook removal easier and cause less damage. I want these bullheads as live and energetic as possible. I go through more night crawlers or cut bait because of the barb removal but I’m ok with the trade off.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,290 Posts
What I don't understand:( I use Kentucky rig most of the time.
And I've caught probably 95% of my fish on nightcrawlers.)

When I reel them in, possibly 40% of the time, the bait has been pushed up the line from the hook. Nowhere near the hook. Heck, there have been times the bait was on the mainline, above the knot going out to the hook.
How does that happen? I'll never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts