Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
damn, a # 30 blue broke it completely?? that's just not right........im getting it as a gift, i would hate to have to take it back........if they come as a combo with the 9 ft med/ heavy , shouldn't they atleast be able to land a 35lber with no problems?? just doesn't make any sense to me....

I recently picked up a penn 209 levelwind and compared to the abus it doesn't cast as far but it holds alot more line and reels alot easier with the big game handle and lower gear ratio. It takes a little longer to get the bait in but its easier on the arm moving and reeling all day. Penn 209 or 309 is worth a look.

Don't know about the Abu's(never owned one) but I do have a 209 for catfishing and 309 for snaggin', love em both. I also tried an Okuma levelwind, it seems to be well built and won't dent your wallet too bad either :cool:

If I do take back the Catmaxx spinning reel, can anyone give me some advice for a good spinning reel to get in return?? would like a clicker/ or baitrunner...and something that would fit nicely on the 9 ft Catmaxx rod......I would like something with decent size and that can hold a good amount of mono line........i think the catmaxx reel is like 30-40 dollars.......i wouldn't mind spening a lil more to upgrade.......

hey CRAZY.........are you talking about the Baitcaster Catmaxx or the spinning?? im getting the spinning.............I wouldnt buy any other baitcaster except for the garcia.............does anyone know anything about the Spinning Catmaxx reel?? thanks for any help

Guys..... I agree in the past the Cat Max reels have been junk, but the reels were newly designed this year. Has anyone tried the NEW ones? I know someone that bought an old one, clicker broke the 1st day, I took him back to Bass Pro they gave him one of the NEW style Cat Max reels, I think it was only $10 more than the old ones.

Bluecatnut I don't know about the cat max reels, but they dont sound good. And I dont know why you dont like abus their the BFGs of fishing. If you are looking for something around $50 that wont break right away (and dont want abu) definataly try a penn they all are made well. The shakespear tidewaters might be worth looking at (heard mostly good things) I would spring a couple bucks for the metal spooled one with berings. Buying the expensive cheep reel sounds better than buying the cheep cheep reel, and I personaly wouldnt want to fish with a plastic spool. Becides wallmart takes back almost everything. Okuma seems to make a real good cheep reel I got a cl300 for ~$25 and it seems like its gonna hold together (strong drag large line cap too) they have a mid priced (55-65 starting)convector series that i hear is verry well made. Imho Id rather have a okuma or abu than penn (except gt)because the gear ratio. Anything mutch lower than 4-1 takes forever to reel in.

BassMassey said:
i've always thought spincast, open face, spinning reel were all the same, then you had baitcasters.........this will be my first big spinning set up, im used to using a garcia for my big set up, but im trying to increase my arsenal a little bit........so does anyone know anything good about these Catmaxx Reels??? and i can see what you're saying about leaving the anti-reverse off. So what would be my best bet?? I usually fish in rivers so i can't really just leave the bail open...........Circle Hooks??? or set the drag really low?? i would really hate to loose my set up......and you know how those long nights go sometimes, you can't always be paying attention.
spincast is zebco 33 style, open face and spinning I belive to be the same. As far as fishing spinning reels in the river I would use a pipe&rebar style pole holder with the drag loosened a little (tug on line with pole in holder).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.