bass pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bluecatnut, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i want to hear what u all think about the bass pro cat maxx cmx3 reel i was thinking about buying a few of them cause there only 50 bucks

dusty

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    bluecatnut, I am sorry I can not help you. I use ugly-sticks only. I love them good price on them also. :D

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    top i am talkin about the reel not rod i also only us ugly stiks

dusty

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I misread your post. I also use tidewater reels. 10L,15L,20L and 30L I have one of each kind. My old timers kicked-in. :D

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    top atleast u don't have crs syndrome

dusty

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never used the catmaxx reels, but I have heard alot of complaints about them.

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    like what kind of complaints flat

8. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I got one as a Father's Day present. Casted very nice for a small reel. Never caught a fish on it before it was stolen so that's about all I can tell you about it.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If your going to spend 50 bucks you might as well get an ABU or Penn

10. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    what kind of penn would u recomend i really do not like abu's though

dusty

11. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I wouldn't bother with those catmaxx reels. Just by handling them you can tell there cheap. Two reels I would recommend from the BAsspro shop. The Pete Maninas musky reels, just got one of the newer models the other week, not bad. And also for bigger reels look at the Offshore angler reels. They got some real cranking power.

12. mustad

mustad New Member

State:
    Orient Iowa
    got a catmaxx reel and they do seem very cheezy. I don't have that musky reel he was talking about but I will someday add one to my collection.
    I am an abu man myself

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Blue I dont know penns that well just know that alot of people ln the board use them check with Gator he is a plethora of info for penns.

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I had one and they are cheaply made. The drag sucks and the clicker you can barely hear. Get an Abu 6500 reel you can never go wrong with one and it will handle all sizes of fish you want to catch.

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    im getting one of these catmaxx reels with a 9 ft catmaxx rod for x-mas....are these reels really junk?? i know the rods are good.....but why would the reels not be any good? another question......what the hell is anti-reverse on the spin cast rods for? if you use a rod holder could you set the anti-reverse on for when you get a run??

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bassmassey do you mean spinning reels or spincast reels.If you mean spinning I'll tell you one good thing it is for.Spinning reels dont have a clicker or freespool for the most part although there are some now that do.If you leave that anti reverse off and a 40lb blue takes of with it that handle is going to be going around a mile a minute and its really hard to pick a good time to stick your hand and fingers into that action.I would be willing to bet you wont do it twice!!!!

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i've always thought spincast, open face, spinning reel were all the same, then you had baitcasters.........this will be my first big spinning set up, im used to using a garcia for my big set up, but im trying to increase my arsenal a little bit........so does anyone know anything good about these Catmaxx Reels??? and i can see what you're saying about leaving the anti-reverse off. So what would be my best bet?? I usually fish in rivers so i can't really just leave the bail open...........Circle Hooks??? or set the drag really low?? i would really hate to loose my set up......and you know how those long nights go sometimes, you can't always be paying attention.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Believe that Pluegar (owned by Shakespeare) makes a lot of Bass Pro's reels. I use an old Daiwa spinning reel that's over 25 years old. Good reel. I just lighten up on the drag.

19. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i lighten my drag alittle and if it is a quiet night you can hear the drag clicking
    but what work for me might not work for you

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Basspro like a lot of companies have different manufacturers making there reels. All of there reels are made over seas. All of there catmaxx style reels are the same except for a few things like ball bearings and such. Other then that there junk pure and simple. There drag system is too weak. The first one I owned landed 1 fish before it broke. Given the fish was a 35# blue. It still broke. Took it apart thought it was fixed. Next fish it landed was a 20# blue that broke the reel beyond broke.