Bass pro shops CatMaxx

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 6, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    would they work for surf fishing??

Marshall

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Depends on where you fish and how you fish. If fishing from a beach that's shallow, with sand bars and troughs between the bars where the bait fish hang out, and the predators feed, you need at least a 10 ft rod, 12 is better. If you can handle a 15, that's great, but they are a hand full. If you take your baits out to deeper water, say with a kayak, jet ski, or small jon or semi-vee, you don't need as long of a rod. If the deep water is nearer shore, a shorter rod works. As for the rod being able the handle the fish, it would handle most, but not all. If you expect to catch big fish or take your baits out to deeper water, you really need a reel with a lot of line capcity too.

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks jerry, but i was refering more towared the catmaxx rod

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Marshall, those catmaxx rods are designed for handling the big cats, so they are pretty stiff action rods. I'm not sure they would cast very well for surf fishing where you need some distance. For larger fish they would be ok, otherwise, but for smaller fish they don't have much sensitivity.
    If you want a surf rod, you would probably do better to look at something else, at least in my opinion.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I used the Catmaax rods to surf fish last summer while on vacation at Ocean City, Maryland. I know very little about surf fishing but decided to take along 2 of my Catmaxx 9ft. med/hev rods and give it a go. I was able to toss 3 oz and 4 oz. pyramid sinkers and nice chunks of bait a decent distance. I caught several Bluefish with the largest going 31" with no problems.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't know what kind of reel that you are using, but if you have the combo that Bass Pro puts together be sure that you clean the reel and grease it after using it in the salt water.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    CIF, Yes you can as has been stated! I also say that you would probably get better distance from a Surf rod on a continous basis. If you are using a CatMaxx, you will be able to HORSE in the pricentage of whatever you hook without a care. The reel at that point will be the issue as to distance and cranking power. The reel that you mentioned in another post should work Great. I personally have the CatMaxx rods and other rods for Surf as well. You will ENJOY that fishing more with a rod made for the situation. This is my opinionand of course they are _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. JMHO!!!!

HOPPY4

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes and no, but I think u is better off getting a surf rod, that is design for castining long distances.

9. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have a 9' catmaxx. when I use it along with my abu garcia 6500 reel I can cast a bait and 3 ounce sinker a country mile. The rod is extremely stiff and makes it hard to see a light bite though.