Bass Pro Shops CatMaxx Rods ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Catfishin_Farm_Boy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Hay Yall,

Who's used the Bass Pro Shops CatMaxx Rods and what do you think about em ???

Anyone got the 2 live bait models with the ultra sensitive tip ?

How is the E-glass blank ??? I have only ever used Graphite rods ...

Does the reflective white tips show up purdy good ?

I'm lookin at the Castin ones.. Thanks Ahead of time... Any help would be :0a31: !! I hope everyone had a great weekend...

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the white tips dont make a whole lot of difference, of course I dont use any light either..the blanks are good and strong, but the eyes have a tendacy to bend and the inserts fall out..treat them gently you should be ok...you picked the right models.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have written multiple times on this forum and others about these rods. I know them to be SOLID Rods that will work for you! I use them for my catfishing needs in Europe and have not had a reason to consider changing. I own 1 Casting rod (11 ft.) from them and the others are Spinning. My rods are 10 ft. and 11 ft. long. The last 2 that I bought have the white tip and with any light are very visable. The sensetivity on them is noticable when compared to the older models. What was stated about the guides is TRUE! I have not had one of the inserts to come out on any of them, but the Bending of guides is an issue. This especially true of the first guides on the 2 pc. models. They are somewhat HEAVY, but they will Land any fish that you can catch here in the USA! JMHO!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I have 7 of the heavy action catmaxx rods, and I'm happy with them. They are stout and can throw a big bait, and reel in a big fish. I've had two of the eyelets on them pop out..and have heard of others having similiar problems. If you're much worried about that just pop them out yourself when you buy it and pop them back in w/ a touch of super glue. I would stay away from the catmaxx reels though if you're after trophy fish......bassmassey

5. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Thank you flathunter, hoppy4 and bassmassey !! I really appericate all the great info you have provided me.. I seen em in the catalog and aint seen anyone use'n em and everyone I asked hadn't so I figured I'd ask on here.. They sound purdy good expect for the eyelets but yes ur right superglue works wonders.. Thank you very much to you 3 for all the info !!

I haven't purchased em yet I wanted to see what everyone had to say about em first... I been lookin at a few custom poles but they are purdy expensive..

Bassmassey 10 4 on the reels.. I know they are not that great.. I use Abu Garica's on the poles I got right now..

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I bought two of the 7'6" MH livebait models not long after they came out. Unless they have upgraded to better eyes you won't see me spending any $ on buying more of them. Had numerous inserts pop out and even lost a few of them. At $50 a pop I guess I expected them to hold up just a little better then they did. On a side note I do like Bass Pros Power Plus Trophy Class rods.

7. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    have one but not had the pleasure of catchin a fish yet, been too darn hot!!!

8. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Thanks Jason454ci and Ho_shi !!

Jason I understand what you mean.. I'm goin to look into some other rods first.. Thanks for the suggestion on the Power Plus rods.. I'll check em out..

Ho_Shi... Hope you get out soon.. Its been purdy hot here but not to bad..

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have one 9 ft rod. So far I have not had any problems with it. Thinking about getting another.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i own six of these rods and have had them for a few years now. the blank they use for this rod is top nocth. very strong and will whip a big cat good the down side of the rod is the cheap guides they use on this rod the part that attaches to the rod is thin and very easy to bend and even break. i wish they would put better rod guides on this thing it would be a wicked rod with that improvement

11. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Thanks Dusty & Tom for your replies and info !!!! :big_smile:

Tom, I'd hate to spend that on a rod to just end up rewrapin all the guides on it with new ones.... I still haven't made up my mind yet.. Still lookin around.. Might just go with some custom ones.. Thanks Again !!!

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How much would those rods be with the shipping and handling? I am trying to decide on my next couple of rods. Thanks:crazy:

13. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Hay John,

There is alot of different models. They cost different prices.. Below are the links to the casting n spinning rod models on bass pro shops website..

Casting Link:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_90928_100002005_100000000_100002000_100-2-5

Spinning Link:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_90929_100002005_100000000_100002000_100-2-5

Standard Shipping is 8.95 on all these rods in 50-75 dollar range.. So it depends if you get more than one or not plus note..

All 1-piece rods or rod sections 6' and over in length, require an additional $6 shipping charge.

Hope this answers all your questions John...

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    check out basspro or cabelas graphite musky rods for $70 or less these are great rods

15. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive got 2 of the casting models and have caught many cats on them with no problems. I would buy more if I needed them. I dont use the reels so I cant help you out there.

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    if you are going to be using braid the eyelets will trash out pretty quick

I ruined the eyelets in mine in an afternoon of snagging spoonies

17. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Thanks Billy, Scott, and Ed for the all the Info !!! Much Appericated !! :big_smile:

Billy... I'll check them musky rods out .. Thanks for the suggestion :0a31:

18. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Used them the past two years and only had one eyelet pop out, but i think they aren't made for stepping on.... (it just happened on a double hook up after the rod was laid in the floor while reeling another one in.) Little superglue and not a problem since. Also used power pro braid on all of them and also no issues there. Them along with the quantum big cats will be the only rods i buy.

The live bait models are a little more sensitive but not by much on the heavys anyway. All thumbs up here.... my only other suggestion would be to wait til they go on sale.... they'll be in the 30 to 40 dollar range and if your buying multiples thats alot of money...

They say a picture says a thousand words so....
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o139/threeriver/maggie/054_54.jpg