Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Does anybody have or held one? I know it's a $25 rod. I'm well aware of what it could be for a cheaper rod, but I'm thinking about getting it for my little brother for his birthday. Just something simple. He just wants to catch channel cats with me. Thank you!
It will be a great rod for Channel Cats :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have one (8ft med/hvy) and have not been disappointed. It is two years old and has performed without flaw. It is a great circlehook rod and I typically fish 2oz weight on it but have used up to 4oz. I have caught lots of fish in the 10-18lb range on it. Well worth $25
Thank you! Where I'm gunna take him, we will average fish around 10-18lbs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was fixing to say I’m gonna tell you like I told my dad, “stop getting cheap tools for gifts because they fall apart after the first or second use, suddenly I’m in the middle of something important looking stupid while holding something stupid, and after further inspection was made in China”. But you have chosen wisely enough, if it’s 7’. Anything less I have no use for
PS my dad quit buying stupid tools and got stuff with a big warranty. Him having the same things happen when it mattered most got the idea that men need men’s stuff. Now he gets me the goods
It’s different if you’re afraid your brother can’t hold onto it, but I think you have done well

·
Registered
109 Posts
What I do for poles anymore is ask: can it handle 50 lb test line and a 6-8 oz weight. If no, I keep skipping over rods until the answer is yes. I mean 35 is the least I’ll use but 50 lbs is my minimum rod/reel requirement. I’ve lost too many poles and I simply can’t afford to use anything else

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one or two of these rods. I might wait until my next trip to the big city where I can go to Bass Pro in person and check it out.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Thanks bud is there a big difference between the cat buster and the team catfish thunder cat rod?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have one of the 8 foot ones. The reel seat popped on the third cast throwing 2 ounces of lead and a bluegill head. Will not hold a reel now. In my opinion, any BPS product other than the Catmaxx reel is suspect these days. Their new “redesigned” version of Cabela’s King Kat is the Cat Buster relabeled, beware.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,618 Posts
Well like HaskelCat my Catbuster had an incident. My reel seat thread stripped on the front foot this year. This is going on the 5th year for the rod that has been used a lot. It is back in action though. I could get the seat pretty tight but the little extra I thought it needed was just too much. I put a couple drops of glue on the threads, got it to that tight point and left it. It has worked fine. I still think the rod is worth $25 because it handles the medium fish so well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts