Bass Pro Shops® Power Plus™ Trophy Class Trigger Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TDawgNOk, Oct 26, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Has anyone ever tried on of these???

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have a Power Plus. Very nice rod. I like it more than the Catmaxx. I have a 7'6'' Medium action. It might be my best rod for using circle hooks, even better than an Ugly Stik Tiger (gasp). It has a great action at the tip and a very strong backbone for the big ones. I would HIGHLY recomend this rod.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    OK I'm new. I"ll bite. Have to ask. Why does a rod need a trigger....are you guys shooting em now.....? Harpoon? After seeing Chuck's post for the short guy, just had to know......
    :lol:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 2 piece 7 ft."POWERPLUS Trophy class 1054 7' Hvy Act. 1-4 oz.Lure wt. 12-30lb. Line 7G" It is a trigger grip rod with 8 guides and a tip.I have a Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD.This is a"Lever Drag" reel with a "new super strong levelwind"."Beefed up for heavy duty fishing.""Our strongest level wind ever"."Stainless steel main and pinion gears"."4 stainless steel A-RB bearings"."Rated for 300 yards of 20 lb.mono"."Rated for up to 33 lbs.of actual drag".Great rig,just no big fish on it to date.peewee-williams

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shorthand for trigger grip. You know, the one that has the curved piece coming off the handle.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My favorite rod right now is becoming my Ugly Stick Big water series 1120, 7 ft. Its a great rod capable of bring in good sized ones. A friend of mine hooked and landed a 45 lb gar on one recently.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks Jerry. I bought a Berkley Big Game two piece. Put a Zebco Rhino spincast on it with 17#Cajun Red. Thought it was a big outfit till I saw the pictures & post of the kind of fish you guys are after. I looked at the Ugly Sticks, but they were one piece rods & I got a short bed truck. Is a 2 piece rod "weaker"? Also have an old ABU "Kingfisher", 8ft. two piece with a Shakespere spincast rated for saltwater & put the 17#Cajun red on it also. Those are my big guns. I'm gonna put something better together, but was really curious as to the two piece thing. And I guess it's open face baitcasters for the big ones isn't it? Ugly Sticks being the most affordable rods, and ABU or Penn baitcaster reels....looking at at least $120 to $140 for entry level units. Would that be a good estimate? Just what I'm picking up from the postings I've read.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Boot,

Two piece rods are not any weaker than a one piece, though some may say so. The ferrule where they join is, in fact, the strongest part of the rod. My 5 wt flyrod has four pieces and I'd not be afraid to hook a 30 lb fish on it, have to work the rod to bring it in, but it'll do it. But, there aren't many decent two piece rods in the 6 1/2 to 8 ft range these days. There can be problems with two piece rods, the ferrules can stick making it difficult to pull them apart. Usually, twisting while pulling helps. It also helps if you put a little wax on the male ferrule end every once in a while...just rub with a candle lightly. I've heard of the front of the rod coming of the back, but its like running your line through every guide, you just have to watch what you are doing.

I had a 6 ft bed truck, but that didn't stop me from carrying 7 ft rods. I just put them in the truck diagonally. As for some of the rods you see and hear about on BOC, for actually fighting a big fish, if in open water, they're not necessary. A big rod will make faster work when reeling in a fish, but its best application is for fishing around heavy structure and using heavier lines...home of the big ones. For regular catfishing, your current rod/reel set up will do the trick, but upgrading is a good thing. You'll get more pleasure out of your fishing. Remember, though, that sometimes, a bigger rod is more tiresome if you cast a lot.

As for Ugly Sticks, they're great rods for catfishing, though I find the guides on the $28 ones not to be of my liking. My preference is for the Big Water Ugly Sticks, particularly the 1120 series. Its more money, $45, but is, I believe, a much better rod. For reels, with a regular Ugly Stick, I'd go with an Abu 5500C3, great reel. For bigger rods, my choice would be a 6500C3, for some reason, a sweeter casting reel than the 5500. I paid $71 drive out for my 6500. The 5500 C3 can be had for under $60.

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

That is a good question lol! :lol:
    I like the trigger because if I didnt have it on my rod this last weekend, the fish that took off with my bait woulda ripped the rod right outta my little fingers heh heh.
    Then I wouldnt be laughin :sad2:

10. PEE DEE RIVER RAT

PEE DEE RIVER RAT New Member

i have 8 of these rods that i have been using for about two years .. they have really been working great .. no problems ,, i have pulled my boat around with tese rods when i get hung up some times , very strong but senstive.. i have been debating to go to the ugly stick tiger rods . but i hate to spend that much on 8 new rods when my power plus rods are just as good .. i think you will be extremely sastified if you purchase these rods .
    i am using the model 1054 heavy action rods .. the only thing i dont like is it is a two piece rod.. but like i said .. i never take them apart .. so really no problems .. yes i would buy some more of these rods. also the price is really good .. ps.. these rods have been abused and all original 8 are still in service..
    good luck fishing .. strike zone sport fishing .. alan