Bass Pro Shops® MegaCast® Metal Baitcast Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by photocat, Aug 18, 2005.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these reels. they seem very similar in style to The abu garcia ambassador C3 series. They cost about 1/2 to 1/3 as much as the abus and well i'd like to save a little bit of money on my reels. Are they a worth while investment?

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i've never used these reels before but i'll be totally honest with you, i'd save the extra money and grab you and abu!

3. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    On the old board people had a very poor opinion of this reel. The most common complaint was the bait clicker. Apparently it's cheaply made and will stop working and you'll be stuck in freespool.

If you want a cheaper reel that has gotten good reviews, check out the Shakespeare Tidewater reels.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Hmmm Thank you for letting me know, i've been using Shakespeares SKp2000 the past year and 1/2 or so an i've been fairly happy w/ them but the clicker breaks on them and i keep looking at the abu's and i need to find a cheaper way to get them. thought maybe the Mega casts would be a good one but guess not. oh well better start saving my pennies

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    these reels will suit u fine for fishing for channel cat maybe even small shovels.
    these reels are the same make of the shakesspeare skp4000 if u look on the thumb release u will even see the (S) stamped on it as well. in my opion go withthe abu a lot better bang for your buck. and yes the clickers are terrible on these reels. now the cattmaxx reel bass pro sells is a awesome reel it runs 49.99 in price and is a great value. its 5 ball bearing has i beleive 10 wind breaks in side the casing and is a 5:3:1 ratio so it has the crank power that u need. ive currently owned two of these reels and passed them down to my brother n law due to the extra brakes inside so he learn to use the baitcasting reels. and did i mention u can throw these things a country mile.

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm with you dude,for a little extra $$$$ you can't go wrong with ol' ambassadeur.I'm just an ol' die-hard.

7. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    i have two of these reels and the baitclickers WILL BREAK for no reason at all. But i fixed mine and the clickers work better than they did when i bought them. They appear to be the exact same design as the abu, except cheaper materials are used and less effort is put into the assembly. they are fine for the cost if you dont mind working on them.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I personaly don't like working on any of my reels,I would rather be using them. So, in short you sometimes just get what you pay for. I have not heard anything good about these reels, scince I first heard about them.

Go with the ABU's you won't be sorry!!! Strong and dependable. :rolleyes:

As for an inexpensive reel you should try those Tidewater 30L's they are a good reel for the price. The 30L has a loud bait clicker, the 30LA is not as loud but still audible. You can't go wrong for 35.00, will be money well spent. I have 2 of the 30L's and realy like them. :D

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The old saying goes you get what you pay for. If you ever hook into a large fish with those cheap reels, YOU"LL BE SORRY. You might also want to look at Philfger rrels, Trition models 66. There not too bad. There's only two reels the Basspro shop makes that are trust worthy. One is the Pete maninas musky reels and the other is the Offshore angler reel. Both reels have preformed very well and can bring some gaint fish.

SHOWME likes this.