Bass Pro Gripes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey this is alittle late but desrving of a post to warn others. Here is the situation. I bought a used plain john boat and I was here at work all day on the BPS.com website trying to come up with a list of what I wanted and needed and how much that would all cost before I drove the 1 hr to the store on the weekend to pick up all this stuff.
    I was looking for boat seats and the website had them on clearance for 29 each ( normally 39) and then I was looking at cheaper pedestals and found some for about 5 bucks each and then a bilge pump and also a nice on sale ( from mailed flyer) rechargeable spot light for 10 bucks after a rebate and a few other things that totaled up to about 220 dollars. Ok so I head down there all excited and with just enough money to buy what I needed since the "boss" told me I could spend 220 but not adime more since were so poor ( and yes, I heavily contribute to the reasoning behind that) :crazy:

Ok get there and head for the spot light, turns out they had 10 of them and apparently some guy bought all of them so they had moved a more expensive model into the same spot with the old sales sticker still there, seems there is no rebate on this simillar model, the ole bait and switch, ( granted I was there on day 2 of a 15 day sale on the flyer) thats nice so I head to the marine area and start rounding up stuff, I find the seats but there not marked down??? Hummmmmm, I get a sales guy and he says "oh yeah, the web page sells stuff on clearnace all the time that we do not have for sale here in the store" so that sucked but i took them anyways, then I looked for cheap swivel pedstals and could only find the 10 dollar models instead of the 5 dollar one, ok this is really getting annoying now....so I move to the Bilge pump which is supposed to also be on sale and they never had the one in the flyer so they offered a few bucks off one that was twice as much in its place.By now Im totally pissed about the whole thing.

Anyways I went for a bunch of stuff and could only buy half of what i went for because the other stuff was all not on sale, or out of stock, or swapped for a more expensive model. I really was upset and asked to talk to a manager who was paged about 3 times but never showed up so I left and wont go back to buy any stuff from there again.

Just venting how the big retailers do that type of stuff to get you in the door...
    Thanks for reading this far!

Salmonid the griper....

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark, you have a very legit gripe. I've been to my local BPS on several occasions expecting to buy items from a sale paper just to find out they are already sold out. There has been times when I left there with nothing, because they didn't have any of the items I needed in stock. But, for instance the last time I was there, I left pleased that everything that I needed was actually in stock. And I left minus about $150! So, I feel your pain for the most part.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark did you ask for a rain check are to see if they could get it from another store for you? I had a simular problem at Home Depot and the manager told me that they don't offer rain checks so I sat down and wrote not emailed a letter to the home office about my disapointment with this happening so many times. Not only did I get what I wanted for the sale price I got it delivered to my house for free and a 50 dollar gift card.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a great approach and I might do that if I get some time in the next week but the spotlight for example specifically says "No Rainchecks" as does most of there limited suppy items to get you in the door. The Bait and Switch mentality is used across all retail venues and I just hate that it happens that way but it is common practice soIll just have to live with it.

Salmonid

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Cabelas and Wal-Mart run internet sales too. When i find something for sale on the web site i print it off and take it to the store with me. 9 times out of 10 I'll get the sale price on the item.

6. Keowee Catfisher

Keowee Catfisher New Member

State:
    south Carolina
    The thing I don't like is they have a lotta nice lookin' shoes and boots and stop at size 13 :sad2:

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mark you DON'T have to settle for that kind of situation.Sit down and write a letter directly addressed to Johnny Morris clearly stating the problem.I am sure you will recieve some help!!!:smile2: Your last sentence should say"Mr.Morris, given this situation and the bad taste it left in my mouth,why would I ever shop at your store again?"Let them win you back.All it takes is a little ink and time.DO NOT send an E-Mail or electronic,typed letter.Nothing grabs folks attention like the fact that you are so pissed you took the time and effort to hand write a letter.After two years of trying to get Lowrance to turn off that annoying Fastrac feature on the right of the screen,I wrote to Mr Lowrance and it was done in 2 months.:smile2:

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Of all the major chain-type sporting goods stores, I think BPS is my least favorite. They don't carry the same quality in many products as cabela's, gander mountain, and sportsman's warehouse. I've also discovered that at BPS, I have an extremely hard time finding what I'm looking for. I've always thought that their stores were set up poorly..... your post makes me think that maybe they don't actually have what I'm looking for when I go in there.

The last time I was at BPS, I was looking for a few things specifically, just like you. I wanted to buy a Berkley Glow Stik, some large kahle hooks, some no-roll weights (if they had them) and some 20lb ande fishing line. I didn't find any of what I was looking for. The sales people told me that they had the Glow Stiks but none of them were willing to show me where, they just gave me directions. I looked all through their damn fishing rods and didn't find what I was looking for either.

If at all possible, I usually steer clear of BPS. Neat place to visit, lousy place to purchase stuff. JMHO.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats too bad man. You sure did show some responsibility by listening to your "boss" and your economical reasoning. Be proud of yourself, sit down with a paper and pen, and write away. Good luck!

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Listening to the wife/boss is something that does take maturaty but financially we worked out how much I needed and that was what i was allowed to spend and that is what madem e so mad was that I couldnt get half of what I wanted because they didnt have it and the other half was the more expensive stuff then whats on the website, btw, shipping was gonna kill me so I didnt go that route. ( but in hindsite, maybe I should have done that)

Does that make sense, I will try to write a nasty gram over the weekend

Salmonid

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im going to second or third the letter writing. Tell them what you told us and Id bet they do something to win you back.

12. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The advertised special sales with no raincheck is refered to in marketing as a "Loss Leader." They advertise a product at an extremely low price, sometimes at a loss, but have a limited quantity. The object is to get you in the store. If you have the self discipline not to spend money you hadn't planned on, their plot fails. Most major retailers practice this. Unfortunately, they learn this in their college marketing classes. It's legal, but retailers who do it too much hurt their reputation and lose customers. I always shop around. Cabela's doesn't like it when I pull out my "Bass Pro Shops" Visa card and buy something, but as one cashier admitted, it's better than me buying the item from Bass Pro.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would do two things! Write a "Nasty-gram" to the store manager and among other things, tell him that you are in touch with hundreds if not thousands of other sportsmen, (without mentioning BOC), and send another "Nasty-gram" to his district manager or the national headquarters. Tell them what you told us and if you don't get a nice coupon in the mail, let folks like me know and I'll be glad to copy and paste this post along with a e-mailed "Nasty-gram" of my own telling them what I think about them doing a friend of mine this way. heck, if we get enough letters sent to them, you may get a new boat out of it! There is power in numbers and you have alot of friends here.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've allways went to Cabelas, but they opened a new Bass Pro shop in Council Bluffs, IA since I've been gone. Most people I talk to complain of the prices being too high. Of course to add a third store in Nebraska, Cabelas is building a store in Omaha (accross the river from Council Bluffs.)

SudDawg

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a gripe also Mark, I ordered 3 ugly stik tiger rods casting..the add says the have a tip with an aluminum oxide insert, when I got them they just had the plain stainless tip..I contacted them and all they said was sorry, the add was wrong.

16. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mark,I would call the big store and try to talk to someone there about what you went through.Hope this helps and maybe you can get some kind of response...

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I once got on a self rightious high horse about Bass Pro. Now the only way I will purchase from them is if I cannot find the item somewhere else. I just don't like their high, self minded attitude. I find most of my stuff at Academy stores, and it's cheaper also.

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I myself have never had a problem with BPS. In all the years I been doing business with them not a single complaint or gripe been a great company for me to deal with. I would deffinetly contact the head office and make a complaint if you have it the name of any employee that was rude etc towards you anything that happened to make your experience bad I would tell them. With my experiences with them I am sure they will do something to correct the problems for you. Cabelas I have had a couple of small issues with but they fix it for me so that made me happy.

19. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i love bass pro shops but they've always been a little bit too expensive for me to go there very often. that would be my one gripe..