Bass Pro Combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by motard1, Jul 5, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Anybody ever try the bass pro store brand combos? I bought one of the offshore angler spinning combos. 8' rod,big spinning reel. The guy at the counter said all the store brand reels are made by quantum. Is this true? If so,they are very worth the money. I can cast a long way with this set up. just looking for input.

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i refuse to go into a BASS PRO but i do know if your looking for a good Combo you should just " Feel the reel " and how it handles....im strickly a SHAKESPEARE guy.... ***ALL*** of my fishing is light tackle and they have some very nice reels / COMBOS ..... as you know.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE DRAG !!!!!

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    while the bass pro and shakespeare combos may work fine for some,i like to stick with my abu garcia's, best reel ever put on the market IMO.but i do use the bass pro graphite rods. i have one small shakespeare spinning reel for bruegill and crappie but thats about it.you should be fine with the bass pro combo and for catfish and things like that,but when im on the hunt for big carp i wont use anything but abu garcia 6500's and bass pro graphite rods. to each his own and use what your comfortable with.:wink:

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have all kinds of reels. I have just been on a spinning reel kick for a while. I have,and love abus,just looking for more distance. The reel says it holds 190 yards of 30#,and I can cast most of it off. It seems tough,and for the cost you can't beat it.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been in bass pro and looked at those combos.

Although not top of the line,I think thye are good for the money.

I am sure it will handle quite a large fish and serve you well.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    They should work just fine for you. I don't know about the reels being made by Quantum though. All of the reels that I've looked at are exactly like Pinnacle's, just different colors and decals. Maybe the saltwater stuff is OEM by Quantum?

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    If you look at the bass pro CAT MAX reel, its almost identical as the bill dance catfish reel made by quantum. I don't really care who makes them,they aren't bad for the price.The rod is not the best,so its getting replaced with a 13' eagle claw water rod. Then we'll see how tough it really is.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I haven't tried the ultra light combos,but if they are at least as good as the saltwater combos,they've gotta be alright. I am just kinda cheap sometimes. I catch the same size fish as the guys with $200 reels,so I must be doing something right. I have abu garcias,as well as shimanos. They are great too,just cost too much.

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    [/quote]I have abu garcias,as well as shimanos. They are great too,just cost too much.[/quote]

i heard that dude,they ar expensive. i had to save up a long time to get my 6500's. i know how it is being on a low buget sometimes.lol but as long as you are having fun,comfortable,and have confitence(sp) in your gear and your abilities thats all that matters.

btw-i cant spell for crap.haha

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky

That may be true, but the Cat Maxx is exactly the same as a Pinnacle Vision VS series reel, I have two of the Pinnacles and my buddy had one of the Cat Maxx reels, other than the colors, they were interchangable with each other, internally and externally.

As far as I am aware, Quantum isn't in the outsourcing business for private label tackle. Pinnacle and Shakespeare pretty much have it all wrapped up. You can take Bass Pro's bass reels and Pinnacle's Bass reels side by side and they are exactly the same. That's the reason that Bass Pro doesn't sell Pinnacle, they'd be competing with themselves.

Back to the combo's, it seems to me that the rod usually is the weak link, with the quality not being on par with the reel. With catfishing, as long as the reel cranks ok and has a good drag, that's all it needs, really. You aren't going to be whipping out a couple of hundred casts a day. A lot of the rods seem to be more like noodles than fishing poles. I've seen quite a few combo's with quality reels and crappy rods. So as long the rod feels like it's good enough, I'm sure that the reel will be fine.

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks for all thge input. The reason I am asking is kinda sad. My house was burglarized in september of 2007. They took almost everything I owned at the time. So now,I am trying to go back and replace it all. Alot of things are irreplacable. I had my dads old surf rods,all with penn reels. I had all my ugly sticks with abu 7000 and 6500s,and all my tackle that was in the house. All I had left was what was in my truck with me. Mostly bass stuff. I got alot of the abus replaced,and kept them in my toolbox in my truck. Then on march 16,2008, my toolbox was stolen and my truck burnt. So I am looking for a few replacements that wouldn't bother me as much if they were stolen. Also,a guy I work with was talking about his bass club. He's #1 for the year so far. The funny thing is his rods and reels were stolen out of his boat a short while back. It was a tournament day,so he needed new stuff right then. He went to bass pro and bought a couple of their store brand combos that were on sale. Despite the fact that these combos cost less than 20% of what he was used to,he still went on to win that day,and stay in first all year. It goes to show,rods and reels don't make the fisherman. Just like $30,000 bass boats don't catch fish. I think its technique,bait placement,and a hell of alot of luck.

13. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    The older CatMaxx rods weren't so hot, but the newer ones are great. You can tell the newer ones by the white rod tip. I've got a 7 foot CatMaxx rod, with a CatMaxx reel that hasn't let me down once. There may very well be better gear out there, but for the price and how long my CatMaxx gear has held up, I doubt I'll ever buy anything else. I'd have to have one heck of a bad experience on the second go around with them.

14. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im going to bass pro this weekend to buy a new catfish rod mainly for channels. Ive used my buddys before they seem to be great combos to me

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    theres a nice rod/reel combo that my buddy bought at bass pro shops called a catbuster, its an 8' med action rod with a big open face reel on it, hes got about 150 yds of 80lb spiderwire on it and its handled a 15lb channel cat like it was nothing, also brought in some big turtles on it.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One good thing about BPS combos is if anything happens to them they seem to stand behind their products very well, a lot of times even after the warranty expires.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I haven't heard many good things about the eyes on the Catmaxx rods, but I do own a Catmaxx spinning reel and absolutely love it. I haven't had one problem with it and use it all the time.

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Never got a chance to test the strength of the rod. It became a victim of slamming my tailgate without looking first. Replaced it with a 6'6" ugly stik.

19. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'm not trying to stir the pot up but I have to disagree with anyone that says the catmaxx reel is superior to the rod. I own 8 heavy action catmaxx rods mostly 9-11 ft. and they are surely stout enough to catch trophy flatheads or bluecats. I throw big baits with atleast 3 oz of lead with no problem with these rods. I've caught plenty of fish 20# or better and a couple in the 40's with these rods. Now I have heard complaints about the eye inserts popping out, I've had this happen to two eyelets out of my 8 rods and one I was lucky to find it and popped it back in w/ some glue. But as far as this rod handling big fish I don't see any problems with it. As far as the catmaxx combo being a mismatch, I agree 100%..........although the weak link is in the reel, not the rod.......bassmassey

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

:0a34:

im sorry to hear that....i saw a very nasty sight about 2 weeks ago...... there was a theft ring going around taking peoples sterio systems out of boats left covered outside....my neighbor was a trap shooter for 35 years and knew how to handle a shotgun......somehow he got ahold of the salt rounds or made them himself...... one night he herd someone walking through the rocks in his backyard... he ran out and saw 2 guys run away our house is about 5ft higher than his house ) ( we are higher up on the grade than him ) so he decided to sit in his boat the next night..... we were having dinner at about 7:00 and herd 3 loud bangs outside.....we ran outside and CAN U GUESS WHAT I SAW???? my neighbor had a bullet in his arm and 2 immigrants with no faces...... not a pretty sight..... needless to say we didnt finish dinner that night and talked to 9 police officers until about 10:00.... i think the worst part was seeing his two big Rottweilers start to chew their arms like jerky :crazy:

we were the only 3 people to see the 2 guys try to run out of his yard and the cops were actually going to arrest him for assult..... until we showed the cops our security tapes on our shed.... he told cops he wasnt going to shoot them but one pulled a gun on him first.... seeing the 2 guys when we first walked out on out padio brings a whole new meaning to pizza face

i hope i never see something like that again !!!!!!!