Bass Pro Catmaxx

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catlow37, Mar 12, 2008.

1. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I'm thinking of ordering a couple of the Catmaxx reels by Basspro Shop. I currently Have 3 ABU Garcia 6500 C3's that have done a good job, But I don't want to sink $170 dollars on two more of these reels. I read all of the reviews at on the web sight on them and all were good. Does anyone use these reels if so what do you think of them.

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I had a friend who bought one, he didn't have much luck with his. It tore up on the inside twice when he hooked bigger catfish. I suggested the abu 6000, for about the same price, and thats what he went with. He is still fishing with the 6000 with no problems, that was 2 years ago.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont know about the reels I use abu But the catmax rods are great except for the guides

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Been using one for 2 years now and have no complaints on performance, only thing I don't like is the bait clicker is just a bit to low on the side for my fat fingers! other than that it has been just fine.

5. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I bought a catmaxx spinning reel with large capacity spool and 9 foot rod combo . Now Ive had mixed results but then im hard on stuff. I like the action on the 2 pc rod but the rod tip eye came out the other day. I had to take old tip off with a little heat take paint off the balnk for fuji rod tip to fit on. so i think its in reasonable shape. The bail wire came apart about 4 th time i used the reel. It looked to me like the lock in groove was stamped out to short so i put in a vise straitened it and then rebent it a 32nd or so longer. Havent had any trouble out of it since. But were i spending new money I try something different.

6. donald martin

donald martin New Member

State:
    georgia
    I've got some buddies that use catmaxx and they love them. One has caught a 68 lb blue on them

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've looked at them a couple of times at the store. It seems pretty smooth but I think that the clicker is lousy, tension is too weak for river fishing (probably be ok at lakes or ponds) and it's not very loud. Capacity is 175yds of 17, which is on the minimal side if you want to use heavier mono. I'd have no problem using one for fishing where the clicker wouldn't be used and I was using 20lb test or lighter, or using thin diameter braid.

8. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I bought a CatMaxx a few years back and really put it through the test. It held up to the task for about 3 years before the worm gears finally went out. It handled numerous channels over 20 pounds and even a 70+ pound sturgeon.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You don't have to sink 170 bucks into two more 6500s. You can find almost new or display model 6000s and 6500s on ebay for very reasonable. You can basically get two for the price of one. You can get the 6000s for 30 to 40 bucks each, spend about 10 bucks a reel to replace the spool bushings with bearings, and you'll have two red 6500s.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Save your money and buy a good reel. Basspro reels are pure junk.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I just returned my catmax to get the new 6500. The 6500 out casted the catmax by at least twenty yards. I am willing to spend an extra $30.00 to get a beter reel.. That is just my opinion though.:big_smile: Everyone has their own. But it was a very smooth reel, I will give it that.

12. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I use Catmaxx's and have had no problem with em.