Bass Pro CatMaxx Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by PeeDee Cat, May 18, 2008.

1. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I was wondering if anyone out there has used any of the bass pro catmaxx rods. Just looking for some input good or bad.
    Thanks,
    PEEDEE CAT

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Until this year, most of the rods in my fleet were the CatMaxx MH rods. They are decent rods and I've had pretty good luck with them. The only things I didn't like about them was that they were black, (can't hardly see them at night,) and they had ceramic eyelets. Ceramic eyelets are fine if you use mono, but if you use braid, the ceramic will wear grooves pretty quick. I believe quantum is making the catmaxx rod now, and they have also reduced the number of eyelts on the rods, as of last year. This year I switched to the Catfish Safari rods. For an extra $30, the quality of CS rods cannot be beat. :wink:

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have 2 of the 9' MH Catmaxx That have the white tips and I like them real well. Ive caught 20lb cats on them.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a 10' spinning rod and I've never had any troubles with it. I fish very little at night so the black doesn't bother me much but then again I use solar green line.

5. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have one of the new 7' 9" MH 'Live Bait' Catmaxx rods. It's a really nice rod. It will get the job done, that's for sure. Fun to use, well built, alot of backbone, white tips for night fishin, and I guess you can say an all in all quality catfishin rod.
    I put a Abu Garcia 7000 C3 reel on it and I trust that setup to catch any catfish.
    You can't beat that price though. For what you're getting, that's a good deal.
    Good Luck!

6. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    I HAVE FOUR OF THIEM 8 FT. 1PEC MH. I HAD A FEW PROB. WITH THIM
    I HAD TO REPLACE 2 EYES AND A TIP, AND THE COLOR IS HARD TO SEE AT NIGHT , BUT THEY HANDEL 30 - 40 LB CAT VERY WELL WISH THEY HAD STANLES STILL EYES AND CAME IN WHITE .

FLO

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I just bought one of these rods to try. I like the fast action tip this rod has. Should work great for drifting blood bait. I needed a rod that isn't so stiff when fishing the fragile blood bait. Seems to have a fair amount of backbone too. I bought the 7'9" model that has the white tip for night visibility. Hopefully this weekend I'll put it to the real test on some 20 plus pound channels.:big_smile:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with Crab! I have one and love it very much!:wink::big_smile:

9. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to do some more research on the catfish safari rods for just a few dollars more I think they are a better quality rod because I plan to change all my reels over to power pro and if the eyes can't take it I don't want to buy the catmaxx rods.
    Thanks Again,
    PEEDEE CAT

10. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    I own a 9ft baitcast and it works really well.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 11fter that I use for long distance casting.

I consider them about the same as the quantum bigcat rods.

They are decent rods, there are much better rods and much worse rods out there.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 9' MH Casting 2 piece and think its a great rod. I have no problems slinging 8oz and bait fishing on the Ohio river. Like Flathunter said their not the best and by far not the worst.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have two 9 ft. spinning catmaxx's. I got them when they were on sale , before the new ones came out , for 25 bucks. Good deal for that price, but if you are going to pay 50 buck for one, you might as well get a ugly stik for 65 bucks , or a cafish safari for 90 bucks if youve got the money. :big_smile: