Bass pro catmaxx rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by countrycat15, Oct 11, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall, my birthday was today and i got some cash:smile2: ,so im gonna make a trip to bass pro and pickup a bass pro catmaxx med/heavy 9 foot rod.so i was just wondering if any body uses this rod and if so how does it handle good size cats(20-50pounds)?
    any info yall have will be greatly appretiated.thanks

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    oh,yall come on i cant take all this info at one time:tounge_out: naw but seriously lets hear some post.

3. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I have 3 of the 10 ft. heavy spinning rods. You wouldn't have any problems with 50 lb. plus bluecats. The rods are great. I'm not crazy about the guides.

4. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have a med heavy 7'6" its done me well with some bigger cats

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have a heavey duty CatMaxx with a bait caster and caught a 42# blue cat with no problems at all. It is a very good combo. Rod handled really well. Want to get another when I get enough cash.

6. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For almost the same money you can get the Ugly Stick Tiger. Compare them side by side while your in Bass Pro. I personally think the Tiger is much better.
    Steve

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I have an 8ft mh cat maxx and has served me well with 20+lb blues.No complaints:cool2:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with Steve. The Catmaxx is good, i own one. But for the same money you can get an Ugly Stik Tiger and I think that's a much better rod-probably the best out there, I would go with the Ugly Stik but the Catmaxx will work great also.

Note: unless u are fishing for flatheads in heavy cover don't get the Heavy action, my buddy has it and you might as well use a broomstick. lol

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I agree with what you are saying but would like to say the MH is still extremly stiff at the end. I just got one a few days back but plan on ordering a Med next time.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Just to clarify, i meant the Heavy action Catmaxx, didn't know if that was clear or not

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    They seem to be nice rods, but their base is almost the diameter of my wrist... a bit much for me.

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The point that these rods are made with Larger handles does not take away from their usability. I have stated before that I have 7 of these rods in 10' and 11' lengths. Each of these rods are the Heavy versions and provide great sensetivity at the tips. My largest Wels came on my 11' H rod while in Italy on the Po river. I still would not like to continously cast them with a lure as this would have you completely shot after 3 hours. I do have a lure rod for the Wels that is specificly constructed to perform this requirement. I would not trade my CatMaxx rods in for another rod at this point when Catfishing from the shore or boat! JMHO!!

HOPPY4

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    great posts guys,i still plane on getting one,i looked at the heavy action and man those things are huge!! but ima get the med/heavy 9 footer:big_smile:

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    another thing to be aware of, the butt of the rod is large, almost like a ball. My main complaint with the rod is that, because of this they do not fit in all rod holders, just might wanna make sure they fit in yours, it's not something people think about (i know i didn't) when they buy them, but it is a hassle while on the water.

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    SkiMax, You are very correct! While we were in France on the Saone, we used PVC tubes that we hammered into the ground to hold the rods. This is not always possible in many situations you have rock or concrete. I saw a post and have since seen these tubes sold by fishing outlets that have been manufactured with 3, 6 or 8 rod tubes. BP has them and you would need to modify them slightly to have the versitility of shore or boat applications. There are many ways to have these and any other rod secure while you are fihsing for the cats. This is a link that shows a 3 rod holder and the butts of the CatMaxx should fit http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=22890&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults without a problem! JMHO!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4