BASS PRO CATMAXX REELS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lookin_4_moby, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I was wondering if anybody has tried the catmaxx reels and how they like em. I saw em the other day and am considering gettin some for this upcoming season. Lemme know what you think, also do any of you have or tried any of the catmaxx rods either.

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i have the catmaxx baitcasting reel and it works great. i like how it is easy to turn the bait clicker on and off. i also the 9ft MH catmaxx rod and other than weight and the eyes, it seems to be a good rod.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I had a friend who went through two catmax baitcasters in one summer, they fell apart on the inside. This was not long after they first came out. I talked him into getting the abu 6000 at the time for a little more money, he still had the abus the last time I saw him. I don't know if they made any improvements since then, with the catmax reels. The rods I like alot, I bought them when they first came out. I have 8', 9', and 10' rods. I know improvements were made on some of the rods since then. The only complaint I have with mine are the eyes do bend easy, but I can live with that. I bought all mine when they went on sale, use to be in the summer. They are a nice soild rod, with alot of backbone.

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah I've been reading on them and I think that I'm going to just stick with my abu 6500 c3. I'm probably gonna pair em with the new catmaxx rods. I played with the medium heavy and the heavy but not quite sure which I like best. I want a rod that has a semi-soft tip that I can take channel cat fishin but have enough backbone to pull in a flattie in heavy current. I'ma go check em out one more time and play with em a bit.

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    from what I read on them that is one of the improvements they made, a softer tip on some of them (catmax rods). You know the twc rods are about the same as catmax but a better blank with stainless steel eyes. I just bought one of there rods and I am impressed. Good luck let us know what you get.

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was just about to make that TWC recommendation. Its based off the catmax but much stronger and better by far. I cant stop saying good things about this rod. I was skeptical until mine came in the mail

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    thanks fellaz I think I'ma have to order me a couple of twc rods before this spring. I liked them alot better after looking at them especially because of the stainless steel eyes unlike the ceramic inserts on the catmaxx. How's the action on the rods. I want a semi-soft tip but backbone.

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    What you want is exactly what it has. Soft, flexible tip, rod is light as a feather but it has lots of backbone. Its the perfect cat rod I just havent tested it on a 50LB Cat yet

9. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The catmaxx rods are good rods I have two and I don't regret having them I know TWC is good to so I don't think you could go wrong by buying either. The catmaxx reels are ok until you get ahold of a abu but they are easy to cast and smooth and the clicker is weak.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The catmax rods are good rods..If you are already using abu 6500's you would be taking a step back by getting a catmax reel.
    I know first hand, I dont like them for big fish 40-lbs up...For smaller fish, they would work, but dont expect them to last as long as an abu.