Bass Pro Catmax reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kscatman, Jul 7, 2007.

1. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I recently bought a catmax baitcast reel, and so far I am extremely impressed. Only time will tell how it will stand up but so far I love it. I believe it casts as well and maybe feels a little smoother than my ABU 6500. I'm going to buy another one of them for a new rig. Have any of you guys took on a big fish with one yet? Or any replies or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope I dont use em, I would just use the Abu 6500C3 they are a much better reel.

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I wanted to try one of there reels, but i just couldnt afford one, i use an old okuma spinning reel, its good, but it looks like something from walmart.. but back to the topic, i would say go for it, i havent hered anything bad about it, and ive heared the basspro shops mega cast what ever is just as good as the abu 6000, they make good stuff

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    CarMax is a great reel and will handle the heavies with ease, I havfe two of the combos and are very happy with them.

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    while I am very happy with my catmaxx the only thing that I like better about the abu is the drag and the clicker is ALOT louder. I have had fish peel drag on both and I like the abu better on that. The catmaxx is just not as smooth. As for the baitclicker, if you are distracted or it is very loud in the area there is a chance you may not hear it. Other than that, it is a very good real.

6. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought 2 Catmaxx reels 3 weeks ago. Time will tell, but I like them alot so far. Easy casting. What I like about them is the reel engages from free spool with very little turn of the handle. I would guess that a 6500 would be better made though. I have a 7000C3 on the way from catfish connection. I know it is not a direct comparison, but I want to see how they stack up to the 7000C3. This will be my first Ambassaduer.

7. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i had one about A YEAR AND THE gears stripped out of it. but it may have been a bad reel.

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive never used one Eric, but I was about to buy one a while back and someone told me that the clicker wasnt that loud. Someone else said that the very first time they had it out it rained and the reel got wet and the clicker didnt work after that. They both suggested that I spend a little more moey and go with the Abu. Maybe they just had a bad reel but like I said Ive never used one so I dont know. Keep us informed on how it holds up for you though. I'd like to have another opinion to tell you the truth. Good luck!!

9. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought 2 Catmax CM80 spinning reels about 3 months ago and I have been VERY pleased with them. Most of my fishing is done from the bank at Cumberland City so I dont use baitclickers. Their spinning reels have one of the tightest gear sets I have ever seen. They have zero backlash on the handle and thats amazing for the price tag.
    Another thing I have liked about these is the drag. The drag will lock down tighter than any that I have ever used without actually "locking up".

Good luck all,
    Jesse

10. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I got my 7000C3 yesterday, so I have something to compare to. For the extra $10, I wish I had gotten a 6000 or 6500 Abu instead of the 2 Catmaxxes. There is a lot more plastic on the Catmaxx than my 7000. The Abu casts slightly better and is more solid. The Catmaxx will probably be fine for up to 20lb fish. Don't get me wrong, the I still like the Catmaxx, but I can tell you that if I hold the Catmaxx and Abu in each hand, the Abu definately give me more confidence. I think I am going to try to get my wife to upgrade from her Zebco 733 to my 2 Catmaxxs. They would be perfect for her since she only fishes with danny kings. I just have to get her to try the baitcasters out.

So, all in all, the Catmaxx are decent, but don't install the confidence the Abu does. As far as the clicker goes, it seems loud enough for me as I fish at night and it is generally quiet out. Here are some differences in just the outer components of a Catmaxx and Abu.

Catmaxx
    Plastic -thumbar, line guide, brake control knob, star drag knob, clicker on off switch. All of these components are metal on the Abu.

Hope this helps.

11. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    I have 3 of the catmaxx combos and they work well for me. Havent had a problem with any of them

12. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I'm happy with the catmax reel so far, I do think that it is a little smoother than my ABU's. Only time will tell and when I git into a big fish, about 8lbs if the biggest i've caught on it so far. I'm only using it for channel cat fishing in lakes. I use much heavier equiptment on the river.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Eric, I hope you put 3 or 4 of those 30# dinks in the boat at the KatKing Classic:wink:. In fact, I hope you hook one so big it can rip the guts out of your catmaxx............we'll hand line it the rest of the way to the $1000 big fish pot:smile2:.

We have a goal!!

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    catmaxx reels are junk they fall apart after 6 months abus are a lot better reel

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ever tried a pflueger contender?

16. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Yep, your right, that's a dink in my avatar pick. I would'nt use it for targeting my big fish, it's just a channel cat reel. I don't think it would have any problem with fish up to 20lbs. I honestly like it better than my abu 6500 but time will tell if it holds up. Even on my heavy eqiptment I dont put more than about 15lbs of drag on it, You got to do what you have to do to pull them out of the cover, but I don't want to have a weight and hook come flying back at me at 30mph because I tightened my drag down with a pair of pliers.

17. kc_catfishing

kc_catfishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    i been used catmaxx for over a year! work real good pull my 70 lbs catfish just fine, love it!

18. dolittle9

dolittle9 New Member

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    i have 2 combo's no problem here

19. Dreamsofpeace54

Dreamsofpeace54 New Member

State:
    maryland
    Purchased the heavy 7'6" combo, worked great. biggest fish on it was 38lbs, but the gears were shot after about 6 months.

To be honest, i loved the reel at first, hossed that 38lber to the boat like a champ but having it crap out on me a week before a tournament was disappointing. paired it with a shakespeare arsenal reel and casts like a dream, wish it held more line. i can spool it with a good cast.

20. StuBaby76

StuBaby76 Guest

I love my Cattmaxx reels!! I've hauled in some big flatheads w/ mine, good reel for good price!!!!!! caught this baby w/ no problem... Picture 084.jpg