Bass Pro Cat Rod and Reel Combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Vulture, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Has anyone used those Catmax rod and reel copmbos offered by Bass Pro Shops? Looking for a second rig but dont know what to buy. Ill be hunting big flatties and throwing large bluegils for bait. Any suggestions would help.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just make sure the reel is the NEW model of the CatMax Reel. Consumers had lots of complaints about the OLD model. I think the model was changed starting in 2005.

3. lovetocatchcats

lovetocatchcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Just picked one up at basspro in myrtle beach during the fishing sale. I hope i dont have probs. So far it all seems good. Just lined it and hope to get it in the water this weekend (weather permitting). Will post any comments. If ya happen to get one keep me posted also!

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I've got the new model of the Catmaxx rod and reel(baitcaster) combo. I love it to death. I will be purchasing another sometime this year, I think that I will be the spinning reel.

chris

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I just purchased the catmaxx rod and reel combo too. Have it lined and set for the weights I plan to start using. It has a good feel to me. I hope to soon be posting a pic of a big Arkansas Cat for you guys to look at.

6. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds like everyone has the same idea. I might buy the combo set. Any ideas which rod to get. Like I said in my other post. Ill be throwing big gils and about 1 1/2 to 2 oz slip sikers.
    How do I know which is the old model reel and the new reel?

7. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I had a buddy that bought one a few years back and sold it. He had a few problems with it and I noticed that the clickers are not too loud. His rod I did not like. The eyes were not very sturdy and would bend all of the time. Hopefully they adressed that on the new models.

8. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I have a new 7' MH baitcast combo and love it. Easily casts 80-100 yards with no backlash and no thumbing required.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have 5 of the Catmaxx rods - three 9ft and two 10ft and really like them. They are constructed of E-glass and have a guide for every foot of rod. The rods have a nice quality cork handle which I prefer over the foam handles. I havn't tried the reels but the rods are 2 thumbs up in my opinion.

10. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    what was the cost on the combo?