Bass Pro Cat Maxx

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ghost River, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I made the early spring trip to Bass Pro Shop in Charlotte this afternoon, took my daughter with me who is almost 2 and I truelly believe if it were not for my insistance that it was time to go we would still be watching the fish in the aquarium.

Anyway, I fought it off for an hour an a half but I eventually succomb to the "gots to have its" and ended up leaving with a Cat Maxx rod. I selected a beutiful, black and gray w/ cork handle, 8'0" Med.Hvy. action that recommends line weight between 14-20 and lure weight between 1/2 and 2 oz. I've got a new Abu 6600 Brute that is just perfect for this rod. The reel is still sitting in the box, wrapped in new 20lb. test Cajun line. I'm going to the college soccer field tomorrow for some test casts and will report my initial thoughts on the castability of this settup tomorrow evening if time allos for it. Ultimately itwill not see it's true test in the water fishing until our annual pilgramage to mecca, I mean Santee, later at the end of March.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the Catmaxx rods! I now own 8 of them and trust them to bring in a hog!:smile2:

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those new cattmaxx black/grey/white rods are awesome, way better than the old ones! i bought two of the 7'9 live bait models, just had to have 'em:tounge_out:

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    was it one of the new catmaxx models with the sensitive live bait tip? i read about it on the basspro website and was curious to know more about it...

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yes, it was this rod here http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=5&hvarTarget=browse.

Item number 38-153-238-00

My wife won't let me take it to bed so I'm about to cuddle up to it on the couch. Goodnight folks.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 9' 2 piece MH casting cat maxx rod.I haven't fished with it yet but it feels really stout and good action.I have an Abu 6500 w/30lb BG on it.I'll be trying it out real soon.

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    For the price are the cat maxx rods as good or compatable with the tiger ugly stick. I have a few tigers and I also had thought about using or buying a cat maxx, it would be mainly for medium catfishing.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I looked at them when i went to bass pro and it was a pretty good looking rod but i thought the eyes looked a little undersized for the app.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I bought a pair of the 11' casting models back on Sunday. I'm going to spool it later today and try it out in a field.
    They look real pretty with Abu 7000SSC3s on top of them. :dribble:
    Will

10. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well yesterday evening I tightend down the new golden 6600 Brute on my new 8' MedHvy Cat Maxx rod. Man that piece is sexy looking:cool2: . Anyway I carried it and my old 6000 that is on a 7' Eagle Claw "Black Eagle" rod that is just slightly too lite in the tip for the tackle we're throwing but has always been a good outfit to throw. Both reels are spooled with 20lb Cajun Red and carrying just a 2 oz. flat sinker for testing purposes. I made a few easy cast with my old standby rig and was about 40 yards each time. I drew back and slung it- 52 yards. I pulled the new rig out and man did it feel good. made a good, solid cast with it- 60 yards. Not bad and the line just cleanly peeled off the reel. I reeled them both in, took old faithful and threw it about as hard as I could heave it- backlash at 25 yards. Probably was the year old line. Fifteen frustrated minutes later I threw it almost as far as I could- 55 yards. Pulled the new girl up and just launched it like I was trying to backlash it- but it just kept sailing for 69 yards. A couple more throws were all in the mid 60's.

Initial satisfaction level- 9.5 out of 10. I don't have anything to fault it on but I come from the rodeo business were there are no 100 point rides becuase there is always room for better- well there was one but that was a set up and a whole other story. This rig is extremely castable with a 2 oz. and should be just as good with 3 oz. and a small bream. The only thing it lacks that I like is a trigger. That was the one factor that kept me from buying it the first time I picked it up instead of the fourth. I'm excited about the rod and can't wait to take it to the river and throw some heavy baits with it and jsut see how good it feels wit hboth small and large catfish on the other end.

11. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I just bought 2 of the 7'9 mh live bait modles nice rods and anew abu 7000ci to puton one at bass pro the rods are on sale now also if you bring in an old reel you can get a discount on a new reel i saved 25.00 on my abu couldnt pass it up

12. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    please elaborate. I haven't heard of this.

13. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I purxhased my second CatMaxx combo last Sunday, have two now. I have had good luck with the first one and hope this one is the same.

14. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    i think its called pass it on you bring in an old reel they give you so much off a reel like if a new reel cost 100.00 you get 20.00 off the more the rell cost the more you get off its something going on at our bass pro here in indiana the clarksville store spring sale you can look it up at bass pro then go to the storeat clarksville adds

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I still Love my 10ft. and 11ft. rods and will be testing the New one after the weather gets better. I know that they will play a 70lb. fish without question. I want to have a harder test and definitely a bigger fish! The Spinning version has been my standard, but I want to try the Baitcaster. The sale seems to be all over the nation and I will be attending the MD store for another look around!!!

HOPPY4

16. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    I've got a couple of the old model catmaxx's and have had great luck with them. They cast very well and will pull in the hogs with ease. As far as the eyes go, I too thought that they looked a little undersized but they have held up as good as any other rod that I have ever used. I would definately like to have me one or two of those new live bait models, soft tips with a lot of backbone.

17. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    How do the eyes hold up to braided line?

18. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ya, they do the same thing here at the St. Louis Bass Pro Shop. In the last 2 years I've gotten a new Ambassadeur 7000c3 and Penn 320 GT2 with bringing in a reel, it's sure is great way to save a little money for other things, plus I don't use my old zebco reels anymore except for my 33's.

19. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    yes i hope our bass pro does the reel trade in next year i will be ready for it i wish i would have bought another 7000 c3i its a really nice reel so till next year i will be saving my pennys

20. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The sale at the Cincinnati store runs from March 3-11. They have the CatMaxx rods 33% off. And the trade in your old reel on a new reel works like this...new reel $30-48.99 you get $5 off up to $500 and up new reel get $100 off if you bring in an old working reel. The sell is for reels only new combos.