bass or flat bottom

Discussion in 'Boating' started by viperdragon6662003, Jan 18, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    Hi im kinda new to the hole boat seen but my grandpa has let me use is bass boat that past year and i love it. Im looking to buy a boat but would like to know how sallow of water a bass boat can go compared to a flat bottom. Also i would like to know what is easyer to handle on bigger rivers. Any answers will be thanked.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if your lookin to get into shallow water you'll want a flatbottom for sure, bass boats are mostly fiberglass and are bad news if ya hit shallow rocks, a good alluminum flatbottom with a jet prop would be great for runnin shallow water and rivers, that way you can bounce off more stuff:wink:

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeremiah welcome to the BOC. If I were going to buy a boat, I would buy the biggest and widest flat bottom that I could afford. First of all, the larger the boat, the more room you have and I'm sure you're going to meet several friends on here that you want to take fishing with you. Secondly, the wider the boat, the more stable it's going to be on the water when you're moving around. A bigger boat will allow for mounting of a livewell. A bass boat is nice, but there's lots of wasted space for catfisherman. Sure, it's quick and pretty, but you need to factor in comfort for being anchored up for a long time, drifting down the river, or across the lake.

4. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    hey guys thanks for the reply's. The reason i was asking the question is my granpa is thinking of selling his bass boat and i was thinking of buying it. but i would like to get into some shallow waters most of witch are buy the Starve Rock dam in Utica ,IL i took the boat up there last year and its only about 4-5 foot deep and i was getting worried about hitting bottom. but if i went with a flat bottom with an out board on it would i still be able to get pretty shallow water. and thanks again for the reply's

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a fiberglass boat and i don't start ta get worried until i'm in about 2 ft of water, when i'm in shallow water i just take my time and keep an eye out for rocks and such, and make sure ya keep your motor trimmed up so ya don't waste your prop, i bought a "mac's river runner" which is like a skid plate for the bottom of you motor(skeg) and keeps the skeg from digging in the gravel and waistin the prop, when in shallow water ya just have ta keep alert and it's always a good idea to carry a spare prop, i use a composite prop and that will save your lower unit if ya do hit something but the prop will break into pieces, i've hit rocks and wasted a prop before and am glad i had a spare on board

6. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    ya there is a spare on the boat so if something does happen we can fix it but maybe ill see what kinda flat bottom i can get my hands on if i cant find one in my price range maybe ill just have to talk to gramps and buy his old and trusty bass boat. Thanks again for all the info

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have no problem running my bass boat in relative shallow water.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremiah Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I hope you find the boat that meets your needs.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

9. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    thanks everyone for all the info now i am just going to look and see what i cant find out there THANKS:smile2:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wouldnt trade my flatt bottom fer nuttin less its a bigger one:wink:I will guarentee no one even disturbed would ever take there prety bass boat where I have take my lill flatt bottom....They have downs there rough riders ...and if you can dent them up:eek:oooh: Im floating in inches of water and runn I think at 1.6ft opened up without tilting the moter I can run prety shallow even with the good ole outboard! ya just cant go wrong with them!

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with Kenny. The only way I would get rid of my Jon boat is
    to get a bigger Jon boat. Shad guts and fiddle worms ground into
    the carpet of a bass boat is not cool.